338 RUM, Edge or Lapua?

hy all
i own since 1995 a sako trg S with an 28 " barrel in 338 Lapua - weight is 12 lbs with an nightforce NXS and a big muzzlebrake .
i use for hunt and long range shooting . for hunt i use 97 gr Retumbo and molycoated 250 gr Barnes Tsx on top . gives me 2969 ,1 fps
. recoil is like an mild 308 load . so my suggestion is why not get an used rifle and customize with a barrel and muzzlebrake ?
best wishes foryou . hope you find something matching

i m very satisfied with that set up . measured 1738 fps at 1100 yard . and at 820 yards the
Barnes tsx drilled nice 0,24" holes into an 0,23 " steel plate .

Last edited:
I've been looking into building a long range boomer. I'm pretty much decided on a 338. Will use for deer, elk and Bear. Seems like most RUMs or Edges are in the 10 to 12lb range but looks like most Lapuas are in the 15lb+ range. I want a quality, accurate and shootable rifle with muzzle brake. I'm not that concerned with ammo or component availability because the rifle will probably take a year or more to have built. That said there's a lot of Lapua stuff available now. Would you go with a bigger, heavier Lapua given about the same ballistics performance? What should my minimum weight target be for a Shootable RUM or edge? Thanks for your input?
My kid just built a edge. Weight is 10.4 pounds
Proof barrel
Shooting 275 cutting edge lazers.
Very consistent velocities and shoots great
Running a Area 419 Break
He likes it so much that he is building another

I've been looking into building a long range boomer. I'm pretty much decided on a 338. Will use for deer, elk and Bear. Seems like most RUMs or Edges are in the 10 to 12lb range but looks like most Lapuas are in the 15lb+ range. I want a quality, accurate and shootable rifle with muzzle brake. I'm not that concerned with ammo or component availability because the rifle will probably take a year or more to have built. That said there's a lot of Lapua stuff available now. Would you go with a bigger, heavier Lapua given about the same ballistics performance? What should my minimum weight target be for a Shootable RUM or edge? Thanks for your input?
My .338 Edge is 8-9 lb. The recoil is modest due to the T4 muzzle brake.

I just acquired a 338-8mm rem mag ( Like a 338 Jarrett but a standard shoulder) I'm getting 2943 fps with a Barnes 225 gr TTSX. I had a bunch of 7 STW Brass I necked up in two steps, first to 8mm, then to 338. This is a 25" barrel. I will neck down and fireform 375 H&H brass for my next batch, as it is available. I plan to get a 30" barrel next year and go to 250 gr accubonds or similar. Right now it weighs 9lbs. 12 ox, with a 4-16 30mm tube scope. This works with a standard magnum bolt face, but I'm at 3.760" OAL so I need to build an extended mag box. Long freebore!
This isn't the newest and "best" but the current setup delivers 2000 fps and 2000 ft lbs at 600 yards, and the longer barrel will gain quite a bit. Easy to do, and brass is available for forming. I understand you can shoot 340 Weatherby in a pinch, but I can't imagine where I'd need to.

All three are ballistically identical. If you throat the RUM long enough it will do everything the edge does. I have owned both. 91 grains of H1000 will push a 300 grain pill 2750-2850 out of a 26-28" tube. The Lapua gets you a little better brass but not much more if any velocity or energy. 250 grain pills are virtually identical as well. If you want to punch the envelope build a 338 Lapua Imp. or a 338-378 wby but it will take about 115 grains of H50BMG to get you 100-200 extra fps. The RUM or Edge is far more efficient. If I were building a new one I would go with the Edge because of the availability and quality of brass. There is not enough difference in any of them to really prefer one over the other ballistically. However, the RUM and edge can be built on just about any standard long action. The others not so much.

With a decent brake (APA or Area 419) or good suppressor (Griffin Armament etc.) an 8-10lbs gun will be plenty heavy enough. It will be closer to 12lbs once outfitted.

Hope that helps in your decision. Blessings!

Well I put a 338 win mag barrel on one of my 300 win mags kept me your weight range (had the same thought on weight)COAL Max on my mag would not accommodate the Lapua, but will probably purchase a 338 lapua Christensen Arms Modern Precision in the future only about 8.1 lbs with the carbon fiber barrel, folding stock as well, and with a scope would be in your weight range, would have been a better choice than the re-barrel although the re-barreled rifle shoots well.

With two 338 RUMs in my safe, you can guess my answer. One has a Bartlein 26 inch with .750 at the muzzle and a terminator T-3,nightforce nxs 8-32, Bell and Carlson Alaskan stock, the other has a 26 in Broughton with .650 at the muzzle, muzzle brakes and more 5 port lil beast, Bell and Carlson Alaskan stock, sightron SIII 8-32x56, both have wyatt's 3.825 magazines and both shoot 300 gr Bergers at 2850, 285 Hornady's at 2940 and 225 accubonds at 3250. The muzzle brakes make a big difference over the other muzzle brakes I have tried. Both of these guns are over 10 lbs, but not by much, but when you add extra rounds of ammo on the gun, the weight gets up to close to 13 lbs.

Is a 340 weatherby out of the question for some reason? I drive tacks out to 600yds with swift scirocco II in 210g and it crushes anything I shoot at.

Why not a 340 weatherby? I drive tacks with mine out to 600 (my personal limit), and it crushes everything I shoot with it--a factory rifle no less with no modifications, using Swift SC II 210g w/ 89 g of H4831 and CCI primers-- but the rifle isn't picky. You can buy that off the shelf for around $1500 before optics. If you'd like to throw money down a rat hole, welcome to long range shooting.

I have an 11lb 300 RUM with no brake. It's not fun to shoot too many times in a session.

I don't own any of the cartridges but have read enough that they are all in the same ballpark. The Lapua is often built on custom, strong actions built for the size. Lots of RUMS and Edges built on Rem, and Savage actions. I immagine building from a factory action "could" weigh less than a Lapua sized action but it all depends.

What gives you that cool feeling? Or whats the easiest way to get big bullets going pretty fast. What gives you excitement about the build? What it is or what it does?

My 5 moments of thought makes me say 338 Edge.