338 RUM bullet

BlazerBeam

Just got a 338 RUM back from the smith. 26" 1:10 FIERCE carbon fiber barrel (I believe a Mcgowen and they just do the wrap) with a defiance rebel action put together on a manners EH1. SAAMI reamer used.
This rifle is going to be used a lot for elk and occasionally mule deer. Shots will probably be possible from 100-1000 yards.
I am looking for opinions/experience/accuracy and easy of load development with the bigger 338 cals using the following: 270 ELD X, 265 ABLR, 225 or 250 accubond, 250 Berger. Am not wanting to shoot 300 grainers.
H-1000 is my powder. ADG is my brass.
also, anyone using any of those bullets in a 338 rum, what velocities were you getting?
Thanks for any input

I have an RBros 338 RUM with a 27" Broughton 9.3 twist. Loading 250 Berger EH in the 3100 FPS range with H-1000 in Nosler brass. Other than the barrel, mine sounds pretty similar to yours. I found a good node around 3050 and might stay with that, the recoil is a lot more manageable there, the gun is 10 lbs with a Sightron Siii 6x24x50. I picked up a box of the 265 ABLR's to try but like I said, the recoil with the 250's in a fairly light packable rifle can be pretty punishing. If you try the ABLR's, a tech at Nosler told me to wait until you had 100-150 rounds through the rifle. In his words this was to let the barrel settle in first otherwise this bullet was not as accurate. This was across the board for ABLR Bullets.

I also have a Rbros 338 rum shooting a 250 bergers in front of H1000 at 3050 fps. All one shot kills ranging from 150-530 yards. Very impressed with performance and don't see myself changing combination anytime soon.

I also have a Rbros 338 rum shooting a 250 bergers in front of H1000 at 3050 fps. All one shot kills ranging from 150-530 yards. Very impressed with performance and don't see myself changing combination anytime soon.

what was the performance with the 150 yard kill? What happened? I've shot stuff with a Berger but never had a chance at anything very close

I shot a 6by in thick timber about 50 yrds.Wow it was mid body for hieght,was like following a perfect archery double lung,blood all over bushes on both side.He did death run of about 50 yrds then went off a 20' cliff.This was a 300 otm,out of smaller cousin NM

The 150 yard shot was on a 300+ lb black bear. The shot was slight quartering away, went in behind near shoulder and broke off shoulder, exiting the animal. Found a couple fragments in off shoulder, lungs were a mess. He turned downhill, ran approximately 30 yards and died. One other bear made it a few yards before collapsing, everything else didn't go anywhere, 2 animals being big bodied bulls in the 320" range. I forgot about a good blacktail buck at 40 yards, but that's not a real great test as they aren't that big body wise. Regardless, it was an instant kill, with no heavy bone hit, an extreme amount of internal damage, and mass of bullet exited. The reason I went with the 250 was to keep it a repeater and a little less recoil to help stay on target. To be honest I am curious to see what it will do on heavy bone under 100 yards, both nothing as of yet has shown me any concern. Hope that's a little help.

The 150 yard shot was on a 300+ lb black bear. The shot was slight quartering away, went in behind near shoulder and broke off shoulder, exiting the animal. Found a couple fragments in off shoulder, lungs were a mess. He turned downhill, ran approximately 30 yards and died. One other bear made it a few yards before collapsing, everything else didn't go anywhere, 2 animals being big bodied bulls in the 320" range. I forgot about a good blacktail buck at 40 yards, but that's not a real great test as they aren't that big body wise. Regardless, it was an instant kill, with no heavy bone hit, an extreme amount of internal damage, and mass of bullet exited. The reason I went with the 250 was to keep it a repeater and a little less recoil to help stay on target. To be honest I am curious to see what it will do on heavy bone under 100 yards, both nothing as of yet has shown me any concern. Hope that's a little help.
sounds like I need to give em a try!

I got the 250 Partition to 3000 in a 26" factory Mod 700 338 RUM. I got 3100 with the 200 NAB and in another rifle, 3500 with the 180 NAB. I hope your rifle shoots well for you pard, that is an awesome elk round! :)

The 285eldm and retumbo is a great combination. The 285 is a wrecking ball and destroys everything in its path haha. Dropped an elk with a high shoulder shot at 500 yards and it was dead before it hit the ground. Im getting 2800 fps out of a 26" tube 338 rum

338 is a fine caliber. I have an EDGE which is the equal of the Lapua without the cost. A 30" bull barrel for target and a 26" for hunting, both are Shilin barrels. Easy to change with the Savage barrel nut system. Moving up to a 375 RUM for the coming season, may be the best of big and long range hunting round. I also have a 416/300 RUM but it does not have the reach of the EDGE or the 375 RUM. In my view 30cal and larger is right for hunting game animals. The 358 Winchester was fine for the nine white tails I stopped this season: great slam down round for <250yds.