338 RUM and 213 Hammer Hunter

jamiebolseth

Hello,

Just got a rifle rebarreled to 338 RUM (very reputable builder). 9.4 twist Proof carbon barrel at 24". Running a TBAC 33 Ultra suppressor as well.

I tried the Hammer 213 grain bullet with RL26. Accuracy was "OK". Worst group was just over an inch. Best was 0.7" with averages around 0.9". Not quite what I was looking for in a long range hunting rifle.

For what it's worth I had a few 250 Accubonds that I loaded up just so see how they shot with RL26. Both groups were right at 0.9 as well.

Wondering if anybody has found a good recipe with this bullet in 338 RUM, or Edge, or 340 Weatherby? Probably going to try a different powder, but there's not a ton of data out there for the 213 Hammer.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The Nosler load guide for RL-22, and H-1000 are where I would start.

Sounds consistent? Small tweaks in equipment, and or technique worth looking at.

How many rounds down the new barrel?

Barrel's only at about 40 rounds. So it very well could settle in more.

Technique is always a question as the 338 RUM is a little friskier than my other rifles. But I shot an identical build (same stock, barrel, action, scope, trigger) in 7 SAUM today and shot 2 consecutive groups in the 0.1x" range. So I convinced myself that I still know how to shoot ;)

I will try H1000 next as I know I have some.

I havent tryed the Hammer yet but one of my 338 Rums like the 285 Eldm's .

Rum Man
20190809_075624.jpg

Some take a little longer to break in, my old .375 is the only one that shot brand new.

Good to have a reliable confidence builder in the safe! That friskier recoil, may prefer a little different hold, not talking flinch, just a small change in cheek weld, or follow through a little longer. Something small.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts