338 RUM 24" Barrel Advice

aroshtr

I am helping a friend that just picked up a 338 RUM that only has a 24 barrel. I was hoping to get some advice as to what bullet weight/powder might be best to try. I have ran numbers on the 250grn Sierra MatchKing, and the 300grn Berger. I was guessing about 150fps speed difference between the two bullets. 2700 for the 300, and 2850 for the 250. The windage seemed like a tie, but the Berger had a lot more drop even with the very high BC. I would really like to try the Berger 250, but with all the problems with the recent release of the 300grn pill, it may be a whaile before we see those in action.

He is looking for a gun capable on elk at 800- 1000yrds. So any suggestions on powder, bullet, and estimated velocities would be very helpful.

BTW the twist is 1-10" in a Kreiger 6 groove barrel.

Thanks guys!

aroshtr

Your numbers for the 300 smk and 250 smk would be right on the money for the 338 Edge; I don't see them bullets coming out that fast from the 338 RUM. I woul say 2600 fps for the 300 smk and 2750 for the 250 smk. Then again I could be wrong! I have the Edge but not the RUM.

I agree those numbers might seem a little optimistic. We really don't care about what the speed is, just trying to figure out the best way to get an accurate load worked up for such a short barrel. The load the guy before us was using is 102grns H1000 with a Sierra 215grn Game king, and *supposedly* 3000fps. Have not verified this however. At this point I am still thinking we will be better off with the 250grn, and either H1000, or IMR7828. Still hoping to find some starting load suggestions, or any other ideas on what to try.

aroshtr

I agree those numbers might seem a little optimistic. We really don't care about what the speed is, just trying to figure out the best way to get an accurate load worked up for such a short barrel. The load the guy before us was using is 102grns H1000 with a Sierra 215grn Game king, and *supposedly* 3000fps. Have not verified this however. At this point I am still thinking we will be better off with the 250grn, and either H1000, or IMR7828. Still hoping to find some starting load suggestions, or any other ideas on what to try.

aroshtr

I'm thinkin' you may find another 100 fps off of Eaglet's estimated velocities. My 26" barrel maxes out at just over 2700 with the 300 SMK/Berger Hybrid. Two inches off for that barrel would put me at around 2600.

The 215 grain load stated must have the muzzle blast of a howitzer......

The only way to go it to load some and check it out.

On the personal opinion side, I think that the short barrel is really handicapping the 338 RUM.

I have a 338 rum with a 26" barrelb+ a brake.
I load 93gr h-1000 behind the 225gr barnes ttsx bullets. I started seeing pressure signs at 94grains.

All I can say to 102gr is holy sh** that's a lot of powder in the 338rum.

I am using Retumbo in my M700 LSS 338 RUM factory 26" barrel.
98.6 grs with the 250 gr PT is 3024 fps and the 250 gr AB is 2950 fps.

JD338

Thanks for the replies guys!

Roy: I understand that the 24" barrel is SERIOUSLY hadicapping a case this big. It was advertized and supposed to be 26", and after getting the rifle, my friend measured it and it was only 24. He got a great deal, and not worth the hassle of sending it back so here we are.

MN Hunter: I agree with you totally about the 102grns of powder. The guy sent about 20 loaded rounds that are obviously compressed, and we are thinking of pulling the bullets instead of shooting them.

JD: Those are some pretty impressive velocities! I think at this point we will try the 250grn SMK, and do some load/velocity testing with H1000, and retumbo first since I already have them. I would much rather use the H "extreme" powders rather than the IMR for the temp stability.

I will post back after we work up some loads and get a little data.

aroshtr

I just finished a custom 700 in 338 RUM, with a 27" bbl, 300 SMK & IMR-7828/FED 215M I was able to tune my loads to 5-shot average velocity of 2812fps. No sticky bolt lift, no ejector marks, no flat primers @ 75 Degrees. I will continue to monitor primer pockets to evaluate pressure with my loads, I know it sounds HOT for a RUM but as of now I have Edge velocity with 1/2moa & the RUM, not a bad combo.

JD: Those are some pretty impressive velocities! I think at this point we will try the 250grn SMK, and do some load/velocity testing with H1000, and retumbo first since I already have them. I would much rather use the H "extreme" powders rather than the IMR for the temp stability.

I will post back after we work up some loads and get a little data.

aroshtr

I should have mentioned that the stock barrel is 26".
700LSS338RUM.jpg

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.