338 RCM

A few years ago I spotted a .325WSM Rifle and that spiked a comparison between 8mm vs .338 Bullets. .338 is really dedicated to heavier projectiles for Extreme Long Range use like .338 Lapua. Due to Europe using the 8mm for hunting it offers lighter Bullets with a lower BC and a much lower cost. There really isn't much difference between the two and I'd jump at that chance to buy either if the opportunity arose again.

When Winchester first introduce the 325WSM I di a lot of reasearch on the FPS and F/LBS it was really close to the 338 so I gt the 325WSM. I took it hunting Africa. Our guide had the 338 and me the 325, he - our guide couldn't beleive the knock down power of the 325. At the time the 325 was not even known in Africa. It was a good choice and I will keep forever. Realistically it can take any animal in the world with the correct bullet. This cartridge was a win for Winchester in my opinion.

I have used the 338 WSM quite a bit, nice round it fed really good in my 70 WSM action. Ultimately I went back to my 338/06 and am quite happy.....lots of rounds to dick around with while we're bored eh.....

Next week I'll be testing bl-c2, a2520, 748 With 186 SH. For bullets over 200 gr give n550 a try. Very accurate in my rifle With 185 TTSX.

When Winchester first introduce the 325WSM I di a lot of reasearch on the FPS and F/LBS it was really close to the 338 so I gt the 325WSM. I took it hunting Africa. Our guide had the 338 and me the 325, he - our guide couldn't beleive the knock down power of the 325. At the time the 325 was not even known in Africa. It was a good choice and I will keep forever. Realistically it can take any animal in the world with the correct bullet. This cartridge was a win for Winchester in my opinion.
It's a good one. Not the greatest bullet selection in 8mm. I'd love a 338 wsm

Seabeeken, did you get some results with the other powders? I'm getting ready to start reloading for my 338 rcm. I have 185 GMX, and have thought to get a box of 186 Hammers. Have you tried the GMXs? If so, was there any real speed difference between the two?

I had very good luck with w748, A2520, RL17, and Tac.
groups varied from .2-.5 with the 186 shock hammer. Reloder 17 gave some nice velocities. At 3000 fps i started getting pressure signs and backed off. I did not try the gmx in the 338. I tried it in my 280ai for deer and had a failure to expand. I never used them again. The exit hole was the same size as the entrance. i did hunt for several years with the barnes 185 and had excellent results. Always expanded. This is the first year for the hammers. Accurate 4350 shot best with the barnes giving a .26 groups. A very accurate round ime.

I have a 338RCM. I love it but hard to find ammo. So I'm thinking about reloading for it. What is the most temp stable powder? Any experience with the Extreme Series powders?

I suppose a 250 gr partition would be a real thumper. After much consideration I decided on the 225 accubond which has performed well on two cow elk a few years ago. Exits and fast deaths. Doubt the 250 partition would have changed the results.

Was drawn for cow elk after several years of waiting. Decided to revamp the rifle. Switched to Varget for better temp stability over the previously mentioned RL-17 earlier in this thread.

New load: 225 accubond 54 gr of varget and Fed 210M very accurate. 2733 fps from 22" barrel.
while I was at it removed the lightweight Leupold and installed a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 x 40. Ready for elk!

I should add, ive tested the new 175 HH at the range and took a few deer. Was able to reach 3065 fps but that was max Out of the 20" barrel. This is one of the most inherently accurate cartridges ive used And very efficient.

I should add, ive tested the new 175 HH at the range and took a few deer. Was able to reach 3065 fps but that was max Out of the 20" barrel. This is one of the most inherently accurate cartridges ive used And very efficient.
It is an extremely efficient cartridge indeed. I just worked up a new load for mine today. It is a Ruger 77 Hawkeye that was originally chambered for the 338 RCM from the factory but I didn't like the thin barrel so I had my gunsmith re-barrel it with a #4 Bartlein 22" (should've went with a 3B contour either 22" or 24" if I was to do it again) and man does it shoot for a traditional style hunting rifle like most of us grew up learning to use. The new load I worked up today is 62.0 grains of RL-17 with 230 grain ELD-X bullets. They're 2.852" cartridge overall length, CBTO measuremet is 2.102". Muzzle velocity with that load average is 2,790 FPS with single digit ES numbers. With the 230 grain ELD-X's having a G7 BC of .310 I had no problems shooting my 1,000 yard target with it today and consistently shooting under half MOA groups. I'm usually a big bore speed demon when it comes to cartridge selection but I really do like this short fierce little hammer of a cartridge! Below is my sight in shot today on my 1,000 yard target.

Attachments

• 338 RCM 1,000 yards.png
    338 RCM 1,000 yards.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited: