338 or 375

450matt

I am going to get started on my next build. So want to order a scion and barrel. I am thinking 32 inch barrel. I am just unsure if j should go with a 338 edge or lapua. Or maybe a wildcat 338. Or a 375 based off a 408 case. It will be a single shot. Just trying to start off right

It all depends on what your planning on hunting with it, or is it just a steel whacker ?? You can't go wrong with either, both are more than capable of crushing any North American big game. Both are on the expensive side to shoot for steel ringing, your wallet would be better served with a 7 or 300 mag for that. Just use hunting bullets when hunting, partitions and x-bullet are available for both and whatever you want for steel. I don't think you'd gain all that much by having a barrel that long in a hunting rifle, 26 is enough. Absolutely stay away from anything that you can't find cases for, right now, who knows what the future holds in the brass wars..pick a standard cartridge, why drive yourself nuts !

Frank in the Laurels;1237946......Absolutely stay away from anything that you can't find cases for said:
Wildcat or standard have enough brass, and bullets available prior to starting. Even standard cases get limited runs at times.

Bullets come and go also. There are slowly being more .375 bullets being produced, so it's becoming more viable.

.375 bullet options continue to get better and better as more time passes. If you go the wildcat route be sure to go with one's which the parent cases has a strong following. 338LM and 375 Cheytac are not going anywhere. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with just a 338LM.

I do have a 30 inch barrel 300 weatherby. That I have shot elk to 850 with. I am looking for something with more down range power. I plan to call b.a.t machine this week to order an action. I am thinking a big 375 would be the best with a long barrel and the bc it would be hard to beat.

And I also plan to order the barrel to turn my 300 ultra to a 338 edge in the next couple weeks.

I have a .338 lapua and haven't shot it enough to tell you much but it is a proven round and it's the most fun round I have ever shot by far, kickes the right amount and can get out and touch some steel and do some good damage. Rounds are very pricey and that's the only reason I put the gun down before everyone else. Just started reloading so if you don't you probably should. But IMO I like it more than my .300 win

I do reload. And have lots of smaller calibers. Just wanting something big that I can hammer elk with out over 1000 yards.

I don't think your going to gain all that much more from a big banger in .308 caliber than the weatherby..maybe a little in .338 maybe... A 220/240 grain .308 bullet starting out at 3100-3200 fps will just about do as much damage at 1000 yards but I hardly think an elks lungs will notice the difference. Just not sure you'd gain all that much actual killing power with a rifle you could carry hunting. Some of these ultra long range war horses are too big to carry all day while hunting, you'd have to have another pack horse to carry one or sit at a bench a watch a meadow or side-hill...a 375 action, 30 inch heavy barrel and stock to control it would be a beast to carry, it would be more but the trade-offs may not be worth it, I'd think hard about this move first.

I don't think your going to gain all that much more from a big banger in .308 caliber than the weatherby..maybe a little in .338 maybe... A 220/240 grain .308 bullet starting out at 3100-3200 fps will just about do as much damage at 1000 yards but I hardly think an elks lungs will notice the difference. Just not sure you'd gain all that much actual killing power with a rifle you could carry hunting. Some of these ultra long range war horses are too big to carry all day while hunting, you'd have to have another pack horse to carry one or sit at a bench a watch a meadow or side-hill...a 375 action, 30 inch heavy barrel and stock to control it would be a beast to carry, it would be more but the trade-offs may not be worth it, I'd think hard about this move first.

:D

It would be like carrying an Olympic bench press bar - with a plate on each end!!!

:D

It would be like carrying an Olympic bench press bar - with a plate on each end!!!

After carrying my 25 pound ELR rifle around in the mountains of Colorado for a week last year this statement doesn't seem too far fetched.:D
But I'm gonna do it again this year. The first time I get to smack an elk with that dude it'll all be worth it.

I see rifles like some see trucks and hot rod cars. Some guys just want more power, if for no other reason than they can. So I say if that's what you're into and you have the money then go for it! The difference is that you hardly ever hear someone say you don't need all that horsepower in a car...most guys will say "Hell yeah, that's bad A!"
To me it's the same thing, you are into what you are into. I don't need anything more than a .308, but where's the fun in that.
The step from your .300 Weatherby to .338 (Lapua or Edge or whatever) isn't huge, but still a step up. Going from your .300 to an improved .408 case necked down to .375 or .338 is a leap...not a step. And yes it is a leap in everything, including price.

After carrying my 25 pound ELR rifle around in the mountains of Colorado for a week last year this statement doesn't seem too far fetched.:D

Especially @ 10,000 ASL!!!!

But I'm gonna do it again this year. The first time I get to smack an elk with that dude it'll all be worth it.

^ That's some proper justification!!!

I see rifles like some see trucks and hot rod cars. Some guys just want more power, if for no other reason than they can. So I say if that's what you're into and you have the money then go for it! The difference is that you hardly ever hear someone say you don't need all that horsepower in a car...most guys will say "Hell yeah, that's bad A!"
To me it's the same thing, you are into what you are into. I don't need anything more than a .308, but where's the fun in that.

Agree 100%

Some folks don't mind spending $150 on a bottle of Scotch/Cognac/etc or $5,000 on a set of golf clubs or $1,000/ticket seats on the 50 yd line of their favorite "team" (these "teams" anymore are, well, just not good people).

I'd much rather spend my allowance on things that go bang!

The step from your .300 Weatherby to .338 (Lapua or Edge or whatever) isn't huge, but still a step up. Going from your .300 to an improved .408 case necked down to .375 or .338 is a leap...not a step. And yes it is a leap in everything, including price.

Oh YEAHHHHH!!!!! I'm thinking the 408 CT necked down to 375 has gotta be one of the single most smile inducing things on the planet! gun)

I'd much rather spend my allowance on things that go bang!

Oh YEAHHHHH!!!!! I'm thinking the 408 CT necked down to 375 has gotta be one of the single most smile inducing things on the planet! gun)

I concur!
I haven't shot the .375 Improved but did shoot a .338 Allen Mag several years ago and have wanted one since! The more .375 bullets that come out the more I want to turn my Cheytac into one.

I am going to get started on my next build. So want to order a scion and barrel. I am thinking 32 inch barrel. I am just unsure if j should go with a 338 edge or lapua. Or maybe a wildcat 338. Or a 375 based off a 408 case. It will be a single shot. Just trying to start off right

Why is this a question of "or". You just get both then you and forget this "or" thing.

LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.