338 or 375 or 416?

MagnumManiac

Hi all,
If I were planning another bear hunt on Kodiak bears, which of the following would you recommend?
A 338WM with 250gr Partition @ 2770fps, a 338EDGE with 285gr ABLR @ 3150fps.
A 375 Bee with 300gr Woodleigh Weldcore @ 2830fps. A 375 Bee with a 260gr Accubond @ 2980fps.
A 416 Rigby with a 410gr Woodleigh Weldcore @ 2530fps.
I ask this question cause I think I know the consensus, but would like to hear everyone's point of view.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Having exactly zero experience hunting bears.....

All of them would kill Kodiak bears, so what are the rifles themselves like, weight, optics? What type of hunt will it be, boat? backpack? lots of foot travel? what are the anticipated ranges? close willow river bottom, or open valleys? I would take these things into consideration, that alone may make the decision for you.

All that being said, going only on calibers, as long as ranges aren't anticipated to stretch past 500ish yards, I would personally look at the 375 with 300's, or the 416 Rigby. The 416 especially if your going to be river bottom willow hunting, where shots may be close and personal. If ranges may go up to or over 500, I would take the edge with the 265 ABLR, and possibly look at loading up some 300's for it, or if you have the twist, the 285 hammer hunters.

Then again, I have never had the good fortune to hunt big bears, so I very well could be way off. If I did though....that is a hunt I think I would take a bow for, and make sure my guide had a large caliber weapon and was nut to butt with me ha ha.

More of a bullet preference for me. I like the 250 Partition, and would put it in the .338. EDGE. The Accubonds, and ABLR's have not penetrated as well for me as I like. This particular hunt I think, is where we're not over powered, meaning it all needs to come together.

I like the .375 Weatherby, the 300 Weldcore is probably a good choice, but I'd likely go with a bullet I've had more experience with.

The 416 as listed seems the most solid choice.

As Cody said the rifle itself could be the decider.

All things considered, I'd go with the 375 Bee, with the caveat that one has to be honest about whether or not they can handle it. I deal with recoil as well or better than most and my Model 70/375 Wby is getting to be top end (no break, hate them and 8 1/2 pounds "all up" as I won't deal with anymore weight).

If the bigger rounds gave me a bit of the yips I'd go with a 300 Win/Wby and a good 200 and call it day. Sorry I know that wasn't on your list but big bruins aren't something to dick with when it comes to being able to handle a gun....

Im going for polar bear this year and im bringing my 338 lapua with 300 gr accubonds
I shot my grizzly with a 338 rum and the 250's. One shot and was down like someone switched off a light switch.
The 300 gr accubonds have a better profile and I can fit them in a mag when they are loaded to the lands
If the accubonds didnt shoot well I was going to try A frames next

That's awesome Markymark---on the grizz was it a lung hit or cns? Put up a bruin pic if you don't mind and or can I love bruins!

Regarding your pb, are you allowed to bring the hide home? I'm not sure if we can now or not into the States

I'm surprised you've had issues with the Accubonds as I killed mine with a one shot kill (even though my guide wanted me to shoot it several times more as it laid dead) with my 300RUM using 200gn Accubonds.
The chest cavity looked like strawberry jello.

That's awesome Markymark---on the grizz was it a lung hit or cns? Put up a bruin pic if you don't mind and or can I love bruins!

Regarding your pb, are you allowed to bring the hide home? I'm not sure if we can now or not into the States

Im in Canada so I can and will take it home
Grizz was right through the shoulders, perfectly broadside
This was all on the same trip

Attachments

• IMG_3500.JPG
    IMG_3500.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 413
  • DSC00009.JPG
    DSC00009.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 438
  • IMG_3498.JPG
    IMG_3498.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 423
I would take the one you can shoot best and is most maneuverable for a quicker shot. The 338 WM with 250 partitions would be my choice if it meets those parameters.

I'm jealous that was always been my dream hunt

The edge, bee, and Rigby have a sizeable increase in power over the 338 wm. Whether you need it or not is another question.

I own an edge and wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything on the planet with it. Current load is a 260 hammer running 3k out off a 26" barrel. 300 Bergers and accubonds shoot sub moa.
Like mentioned earlier, take the gun that you like and shoot the best. My edge weighs 9.5# and is easy to carry.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts