338 ocw opinions?

My goal is to be able to hit a 27.65" (1.5 moa) target at 1mile consistently, I believe the cartridge is very capable..... I believe it comes down to finding a great load and bullet combo.

As stated before by another, do this "pressure test" at 5-600 yards. You will be able to identify an optimal charge weight and then shoot those loads for a group at that same distance. If something shows promise, try adjusting your seating depth. Remember if your groups show vertical stringing, it's your charge. If it shows horizontal stringing, it's your seating depth.

As stated before by another, do this "pressure test" at 5-600 yards. You will be able to identify an optimal charge weight and then shoot those loads for a group at that same distance. If something shows promise, try adjusting your seating depth. Remember if your groups show vertical stringing, it's your charge. If it shows horizontal stringing, it's your seating depth.
Horizontal stringing could still happen at 5-600 yards with perfect seating depth, just from shooter error..... and good charge weight can show excessive verticle dispersion if the SD is excessive...... I'm not sure this way of testing is very accurate. I don't believe any test at 500+ yards has the potential to conclusively prove anything....???

Your rifle may not like that powder/bullet or combination thereof. Maybe try something different in a starting load and just measure ES/SD?

I like to go for maximum velocity, which means maximum safe pressure, and maximum range. Alternatively, I would choose the maximum distance and necessary energy I need for the target I intend to shoot. I choose the load based on Quickload predictions, start low and work up while shooting groups with a Magnetospeed attached to my handguard or forearm, if possible. I start at .010" off the lands, seating depth can be can be tuned once the maximum load is found. I want all of the data I can get, every time I pull the trigger, quality ammunition and barrels are expensive, take the extra time writing it all down when you shoot, and after you are finished! As has been said, I do this at 100 yards prone to minimize environmental effects. I use 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper printed with a simple small circle or diamond, and spaces for data. I write all pertinent data on them and make sure to specify units of measure. I keep every one in a three ring binder for each rifle, this is hard to do, I know! But it is worth every penny and minute of time.

I went out today and shot 10 rounds at 10 different charge weights. My goal was to reach a velocity (2,850ish) to get to a mile without pressure issues. So I loaded up each round in .5gr increments starting at 91gr and ending at 95.5...... to my surprise there were no pressure signs, plus bolt raised easily, which I guess was an early issue for savage...... here's the results..
91gr. = 2,710fps
91.5 = 2,740
92. = 2,757
92.5 = 2,777
93. = 2,784
93.5 = 2,794
94. = 2,815
94.5 = 2,837
95. = 2,846
95.5 = 2,881
Thoughts ????

Last edited:
I'd load a few more in .5 grain increments until you hit pressure so you know what you're max is. It will be interesting to see what 96 and 96.5 grains do. It looks like you're at the beginning of a velocity node at 95-95.5

As stated earlier there were no pressure signs at all, was actually kinda surprised...
20210116_201516.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.