338 Norma Reloading Data

His improved chamber is probably the most aggressive one out there thats on the 35° shoulder. Idk if the 338 version moves the neck shoulder junction forward like the 300 version or not. I would suggest a starting load with N570 at around 88-89gr. That should have you in a 2650-2700 fps area. His 300 version is 108gr capacity and 338 should be 109. My 338 rum is 110 so the data should correlate fairly close. My finalized load is 92.7 gr for 2850fps in adg brass with 28" barrel pushing 300 elite hunters.
Shoot sorry. I didn't read that correctly. I just read it as did mike chamber the 338 Norma..didn't even register the improved part. It's a standard Norma, not improved. My bad. Would it be possible to have the barrel chambered in 338 Norma rechambered to his improved version? Or would I have to lose too much barrel?

Shoot sorry. I didn't read that correctly. I just read it as did mike chamber the 338 Norma..didn't even register the improved part. It's a standard Norma, not improved. My bad. Would it be possible to have the barrel chambered in 338 Norma rechambered to his improved version? Or would I have to lose too much barrel?
Dialing in a barrel once chambered isn't the easiest thing to do, but is possible. You can't really cut the tenon off a carbon Barrel like you can an all steel heavy contour, as it'll be too short. His norma improved will clean up the existing norma chamber without a setback, but that is something you'd need talk to him about. You'll likely see a 100fps increase maybe a little more. Is that worth all the time/money for the work and new custom dies, forming brass to the new chamber. That's up to you.

Dialing in a barrel once chambered isn't the easiest thing to do, but is possible. You can't really cut the tenon off a carbon Barrel like you can an all steel heavy contour, as it'll be too short. His norma improved will clean up the existing norma chamber without a setback, but that is something you'd need talk to him about. You'll likely see a 100fps increase maybe a little more. Is that worth all the time/money for the work and new custom dies, forming brass to the new chamber. That's up to you.

probably a bit too much work and cost. I am planning to change the stock out soon so was planning to have him do the work, and have it coated while there. So was just thinking maybe another option. Probably just wait til another barrel is due.

Well I went out today and shot the rifle for the second time. I do have one problem in that the bottom metal won't stay closed now that I'm higher in the charge weights. It pops open on every shot. Don't know if that's effecting my groups or not. Started at 87 grains and worked up to 90.5 grains. At 90.5 I was shooting around 2830 average. Seems slow but barrel may have some speeding up to do. I'm not crunching powder and I had absolutely no pressure signs. No cratering, no ejector, easy bolt lift, and rounded primers still. But across all charges I had pretty bad ES and SD numbers compared to what I've gotten with all my other rifles. I'm usually able to get in the single digit numbers pretty easily and today I was in the 30-40 range on most loads. At 88 I had a failure with the magneto on my second shot and it didn't give me a number and the other two were 9fps apart. I may try and go a little higher in the charge weights till I reach pressure and see if I find a flatter spot in velocity. The 88 grain group did shoot around 3/4" and 89 grain shot just a tad larger. But es and sd still were not impressing. If I can't find a decent spot on the next trip I may try the 300s but trying to stick with the 250s.

Well I went out today and shot the rifle for the second time. I do have one problem in that the bottom metal won't stay closed now that I'm higher in the charge weights. It pops open on every shot. Don't know if that's effecting my groups or not. Started at 87 grains and worked up to 90.5 grains. At 90.5 I was shooting around 2830 average. Seems slow but barrel may have some speeding up to do. I'm not crunching powder and I had absolutely no pressure signs. No cratering, no ejector, easy bolt lift, and rounded primers still. But across all charges I had pretty bad ES and SD numbers compared to what I've gotten with all my other rifles. I'm usually able to get in the single digit numbers pretty easily and today I was in the 30-40 range on most loads. At 88 I had a failure with the magneto on my second shot and it didn't give me a number and the other two were 9fps apart. I may try and go a little higher in the charge weights till I reach pressure and see if I find a flatter spot in velocity. The 88 grain group did shoot around 3/4" and 89 grain shot just a tad larger. But es and sd still were not impressing. If I can't find a decent spot on the next trip I may try the 300s but trying to stick with the 250s.
Had the exact thing happen -

Got a few heavier gauge springs from Ace hardware and put in the heaviest one I could fit, and it fixed the problem. This is a PTG bottom metal.

My build that is underway right now also has a floor plate, I'm going to laugh my butt off if it comes open upon firing! Ive never heard of it before you two! At least I'll know the remedy if it happens to me.

Mine is a Hawkins bdl. I'll have to see if I can do something similar!
The pin in this one is smooth on one side and has groves on the other, so it was pressed in. Took a padded jaw vice, the correct punch and some determination but it came right out after it first moved. After that, very simple system.

Ya, the initial recoil, especially on the lighter rifles, is rather violent until the brake kickes in and does it's job. My video shows the importance of #8 base screws, bedding/pinning the base, and also bedding the scope in the rings in these large cartridge/light rifle guns. We don't feel the intense recoil because the brake stops it before the rifle moves much, but all the rifle components feel it just the same as if it wasn't braked at all, maybe even worse because of the abrupt cease of rearward movement from the brake, similar to spring piston air rifles.

Another thing to note, my bushing gives me about .0015" of neck tension. The initial recoil is so intense, that if I have a round in the magazine, after 1 shot the bullet is seated nearly .050" deeper from hitting the front of the mag well. I am going to experiment with more neck tension and see if I can alleviate that problem, though it will still blunt the tips.

@codyadams good to know. I'm just breaking in this barrel and working on load dev so I've just been single feeding so far! But will pay attention. My neck tension is right at .002 right now. But my results with the 250 Berger's haven't been what I'm looking for so far..I'm thinking of switching to the 260 hammers as my rifle was throated for the 300 Berger's and the 260 hammers are really close in size . Do you have any experience with that? Wonder how they would hold in the case upon recoil with so much less bearing surface contact?

If your rifle was really set up for the 300 Bergers, you would have about .030" holding the 250's in place. They 250's like to jump a lot like 80-125 off. Could NOT get them to shoot closer. I would keep going up in powder. The FB needed for 300's and 260 HH were about the same. My improved shoots 92 grains for accuracy with 260 HH.

If your rifle was really set up for the 300 Bergers, you would have about .030" holding the 250's in place. They 250's like to jump a lot like 80-125 off. Could NOT get them to shoot closer. I would keep going up in powder. The FB needed for 300's and 260 HH were about the same. My improved shoots 92 grains for accuracy with 260 HH.

correct. I didn't set the 250s up that close to the lands because I knew I'd never carry a round like that through the mountains. I loaded the 250s base right to the shoulder/body junction and did seating depth in the opposite direction. Working towards the lands until I was .100 from the shoulder/body junction. I didn't feel to comfortable going much farther. I did get a 1/2 moa group down at the starting charge (2530 FPS) when testing seating depth right at the shoulder/neck junction. Off the top of my head I think the ogive measurement was 2.606. Then upon charge workup with that depth I got about a 3/4 moa group at 88 grains but my velocity spread was way bigger then I'm comfortable going with for stretching it out. I might continue up in charge as well and see if it levels out. But regardless I will be trying the 260 hammers as I should be able to seat then at .02 off and work up my charge fairly quickly. Steve from hammer recommended starting at 88 grains.

What are you guys getting for brass life? Just wondering how many fiat notes I need to drop with the current situation we are in. I was planning on getting 250 cases, but might get more.

What are you guys getting for brass life? Just wondering how many fiat notes I need to drop with the current situation we are in. I was planning on getting 250 cases, but might get more.
Depends on how you load it. I've got Norma brass that I anneal every time and it as 16 reloads on it and still holding primers medium-tight. I imagine Peterson brass will do the same or longer.