338 Norma mag questions

Jakeweb09

I've finally received all my components to get going on reloading for my 338 Norma mag, planning on shooting the 250 Berger's even though it was throated for the 300s. I'm not sure of exact freebore but when I seat the 250 elite hunters to the neck/shoulder junction I'm looking at about .249" jump to the lands! This is more then I've ever seen and maybe it's just because I've never loaded anything this big, but it's throwing me off. If I seat to the lands yeah bullet is just barely deeper the. The boat tail. Would this be of any concern to any of the more experienced loaders in here?

As you said it was set up for 300.Lots guys jump the bergers with success.Im going to try some 240 badlands superbulldozer,shot my bull with them this year.There real long

Yeah I expected to jump but didn't quite anticipate that much! Guess I'll roll with it and see how she goes! I was planning on trying the 260 hammer hunters too but can't shoot those as often as I would like! Lol

The 240 BL is long mono, Ill see what it looks like next to the 250 berger,I have those too,seems it was much longer due to mono. .71 BC. I dont have the twist for the 270 Bulldozier or id use them

Ive got a 338 Norma build underway right now and I'll be using 300 grain Bergers exclusively. I witnessed a friend take a bull this year at reeeeeeeeealy long range with them and I was thoroughly impressed. It's a great combination and I can't think of a reason to stay from it based on what I've seen, the 338 Norma was conceived for optimal performance with 300 grain bullets at mag fed length.

Ive got a 338 Norma build underway right now and I'll be using 300 grain Bergers exclusively. I witnessed a friend take a bull this year at reeeeeeeeealy long range with them and I was thoroughly impressed. It's a great combination and I can't think of a reason to stay from it based on what I've seen, the 338 Norma was conceived for optimal performance with 300 grain bullets at mag fed length.

I understand the Norma was created with intentions of running the 300s but I just feel the 245-260 grain bullets are more suited to the case size. So that's where I'll start! Just out of curiosity..what would you consider reeeeeeeeealy long range? Lol

1282 yards. Pretty impressive to pull that shot off under hunting conditions in my opinion. Shot was placed directly on the shoulder, bull did a complete backflip and was stone dead. I wouldn't want a lighter bullet in that scenario but most of us don't have any business attempting shots on game at that range.

Definitely an impressive shot! While I shoot that far and farther I don't see myself taking a shot like that in the field on game any time soon!

I agree, I shoot to a mile every time I go to the range but don't shoot that far at game. I'm going to use the 300 Bergers personally, but other bullets will definitely produce good results for others.

I ve had my NM for 10 years now,have 2 actually.Taken alot of game out to LR.Which the 300 gr is great for,but I have noticed many like and prefer 250 type.There are many gun companies where I live like Proof and Defiance so I know many people with 338NM.The 300 is overkill for many game I take,but I even antelope hunt with it because of its wind bucking traights.The lighter bullets flying faster pretty much match balistic out to 1200.Im loading some 240 BL because the monos are nice in brush areas and I have alot off that and track bulls in the thick.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.