338 Norma mag cip reamer

cjholler

My gun smith has only a 338 Norma mag cip, my question is there anything that I should be aware of? Plan on using 338 Norma mag brass made by lapua and Forster micrometer FL die set.

Nothing to worry about. I have a CIP reamer and that is what was used in my chamber. No issues at all. There are minor differences in the dimensions but nothing to worry about. I also do not FL resize brass.

My gun smith has only a 338 Norma mag cip, my question is there anything that I should be aware of? Plan on using 338 Norma mag brass made by lapua and Forster micrometer FL die set.
Other than possibly wanting a different throating, I cannot think of any. @sp6x6 is from your neck of the woods. He, IIRC, has a .338 NM and has had very good success with it, and he should be able to answer your concerns. I have a .338 NMI. Lapua brass is awesome. Peterson is another good alternative. Good luck!

I'll second waveslayer with the SMK's and Berger's. Also, the A Tip's are phenomenal. If you look up Jimmy Slogan's story, he was put on a mission to do exactly as stated above, match or exceed the Lapua in a 300WM length action. And that's exactly what it does.

I'm pretty sure we have the same chamber for a standard cip 338 norma, optimal for the 300's. Here's a picture of a 300 berger elite hunter touching the lands in my chamber. COAL of 3.702" I believe. The boat tail is right at the neck/shoulder junction. It's perfect 👌🏽.

Food for thought too, this chamber works really well for 225-250 gr class mono's too like the Badlands Bulldozer-2 & Super Bulldozer-2's.

Attachments

• 20220522_091525.jpg
    20220522_091525.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 28
What powders should I be on the look out for I plan on using bulldozer and 300 plus 250 Berger selling off my Sherman because ups lost my barrel and don't want to pay for it.

H1000, Retumbo, N565, N570 are good choices. H1000 seems like a pretty versatile option in the 338 Norma's.