338 Norma at 3220 yards

115vld

(I posted this the other day in the wrong sectio )

Well guys I have done something finally I've been meeting to do and it feels pretty dang good... I broke the 3000 yard barrier!!

I haven't got to post on here in ages to be honest. I've been on the pro long range tour in the PRS (Precision Rifle Series) shooting for team GAP(GA Precision) and have done nothing but focus on competition shooting mostly. And now I'm the instructor for McMillans long range and extreme long range classes. I've been blessed to where it is paying most of my bills now.

I have a passion for extreme long range shooting and that has always been why I got into this. Pushing the limits and doing what they say on a certain other website (that consists of hiding :B )you can't. Well to date 2720 yards was my longest shot with my 338 Norma mag. I had some time recently to go out to a field that is over 5000 yards long and stretch my rifles (and more importantly my) capabilities. Seeing how it's hard enough to see or hear steel at 2000 yards in Texas mirage, I opted to shoot at a 36"x60" piece of sheet metal. That was super light weight, easy to set up, and would be plane as day if I hit it or not. So I drove out and set up the sheet and it took me 18 minutes to drive to the shooting location around the field. So after I set up I can still see the sheet with my naked eye pretty easy as the sun was in my favor.

Now keep in mind this field is flat as a pancake so the winds where I am are pretty well within 1-2 mph where the target is so that was a relief as to not have to hold and account for varying and multiple winds and angles.

Setting up for the shot. I got out my terrapin range finder and to my surprise it picked up the target on the first shot at 3220 yards. And of course not once at all after that! So I get the iPhone out with the handy dandy distance measure app and zoom way in and drop a pin on where the target was and then on myself. It tells me I am 1.83 miles away. Convert that over and that gives you 3220.8. Hats off to vectronix!!

Well since ballistic AE only goes to 3000 yards I got shooter out on my kindle fire and loaded up my 338 Norma data.

And since I'm sure y'all are half interested in the rifle specs here they are:
Stiller Tac 338 left handed action
40 moa base
Bartlein gain twist Chase Stroud custom taper @30" exiting at 9.3
Fat bastard brake
Jewel trigger
McMillan a5
Bushnell 4.5-30 with trmr2 reticle
GDI 25 moa rings
Berger 300's at 2820 fps
(Note!!!!- I can only zero this rifle at 400 yards due to all the dope in my bases and rings)
This rifle weighs 26.2 lbs loaded and has a truck axle barrel! Love it

Anyways I load data from kestrel to my kindle for 3220 yards and it tells me for a 6 mph wind to hold up 56.1 mils (6,485 inches of drop!!)and left 2.7 mils. So I dial up 30.1 mils and hold 26 mils in the trmr 2 reticle. Hold left 2.7 mils. So I have to back my scope down to 8x just to get that hold on the reticle haha! I can see the target just fine so that is all I cared about.

After watching the kestrel and mirage for a few minutes and deciding that the wind is steady enough I get on rifle to make the shot. I was just excited enough on my first shot to make a mental error! So I shoot and wait for the 7+ second time of flight and have time to recover from recoil, zoom in the scope and count to 3 before I see splash low 1 mil and perfect windage. Duh! Mental mistake I didn't account for my bullet being sub sonic for over 1000 yards and it may have a lower bc by then so I hold up an extra mil and send another down. Hit just off the right edge about .2 mils. I run bolt fast and wind is steady and send it.... Shot three I see the tiniest puff of dirt kick up in the plowed field behind the left edge. Too small for what I saw on the first two shots! In a plowed field it is super easy to see impacts. So I decided to drive down and look.

When I get to the target my heart was racing! And when I saw the bullet hole through the bottom left hand of the metal I roared with excitement!!! 3rd round hit at 300 yards shy of 2 miles! Talk about Pumped!!!

Well word got around and the host of impossible shots John Scoutten calls me and asks if I want a shot at the world record longest shot. So next spring/summer Mcmillan is building a rifle for me just for this attempt that will be aired. Just know it will be well beyond 2 miles can't thank my sponsors enough!

A01AA239-A425-4149-A862-0B43080A784E_zpsxxgahetc.jpg

BFB6EB62-5D61-4207-830D-A16318B9F066_zpsygfx0g5y.png

Think about writing a LRH Feature Article about your adventures at some point.

No problem rocky mountain. Just love sharing my experiences. I wish I had staid more active on the website the last few years but shooting professionally will leave you with limited time. Practice and reloading consume everything and I would have it no other way!

I will stay on the up and up around here as Elr shooting was and still is my first love ;)

No fear, yes I did go home after I hit it. If you only knew the difficulty driving around the crops that were planted! It took way too long to drive back and set back up with all my kit. I will be going out after the PRS season is over next weekend I will be doing more Elr stuff with my 6.5 SAUM and 338 Norma

Wow, Fantastic, Im definately not pushing my Norma at all compared to that.

Wow, Fantastic, Im definately not pushing my Norma at all compared to that.

If you have the elevation in your scope, the bullet should handle it. At least that's my experience. I have exactly 70 mils(240 moa for you fellers still not willing to cross to the dark side ) in my scope dials and trmr2 reticle. When I go out next time to do some really long shots I will see about using all 70 that time to see yet again if the bullet remains stable. After calculating the stability factor it should in theory be stable but theory is just that. Real world is real world

At first glance I was astounded at the shot you made, then I saw a picture of the rifle and saw the bolt handle on the left side..........................nuff said

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.