.338 NM Build

Great looking build! Any range results to share? Also, how do you like the Maven 5-30?
I just came home to it Sunday night after being in the bush for 11 days guiding. I then promptly went to work the next day. Hopefully I can get some loads going this week and get to the range this weekend.

I love all my Maven glass. I can't justify spending the money for something like a Tangent Theta, although it would be nice.

I'll definitely post results once I get everything going.

Interesting read. After several decades using light rifles sheep hunting I have ended up utilizing all of the methodologies noted above. For me light is 6.5 to 7.5 lb "hunt ready". I now prefer actions with integral rails if at all possible. In addition to pinning the rings I have been using rosin on the rings with excellent results for many years. Most of my calibers are "mag's". The only scope I have had go south on me was a Nightforce. I like to use Leupold's, esp. Mark 4's. I have not tried the 3 screw Nightforce rings … but looks like a good idea.

300wm 195 Grain Bulldozer II compared to the 275 grain Bulldozer II for my NM. I think it should work all right for animals here in Alaska.
300wmVS338nm.jpg

Hunted with them the past 4 seasons and like them a bunch. Very lethal, good precision, and minimal meat damage.
I think you'll be pleased.
Good to hear, because I might have bought a lot of them. Hahaha.

After reading how much everyone on here was liking them I figured I might as well keep a healthy supply on hand.

How does your NM compare on case capacity to the 338 RUM case? It's a good bit bigger isn't it? About how fast should the NM push the 275grain bullets?

I've obviously been out of the loop and have not heard of the Bulldozer bullets. Just looked at them and the BC's are compelling…

How does your NM compare on case capacity to the 338 RUM case? It's a good bit bigger isn't it? About how fast should the NM push the 275grain bullets?

I've obviously been out of the loop and have not heard of the Bulldozer bullets. Just looked at them and the BC's are compelling…
From everything I've read on here it seems most guys are getting 2800-2900 FPS with the 275's.

I'm not sure on case capacity compared to the RUM. I thought I had read it here before, but that has been many threads ago. I don't own a RUM to compare it to.

Someone might discuss it in this thread.

The 338 RUM is a little larger than the Norma case, 109gn H2O v 107.3gn H2O.

The 338 Edge is 113.9gn, whilst the 338 Lapua is 114.2gn and the 33 Nosler 89.8gn.

These are raw numbers and with a 270 or bigger bullet seated to magazine length the Norma will start to offer a competitive loaded capacity.

Did you have any coating or finish put on the action or barrel, or is that just the stainless? I'm debating on how to finish the metal on my new build. I went with Nitride on my last defiance action and Gunkote for the barrel. Really like it but love the stainless look of yours.

Did you have any coating or finish put on the action or barrel, or is that just the stainless? I'm debating on how to finish the metal on my new build. I went with Nitride on my last defiance action and Gunkote for the barrel. Really like it but love the stainless look of yours.

I had this stuff put on.