.338 NM Build

That's pushing my limit for backpack hunting the mountains. Try it and see how it goes. If you find yourself cussing your rifle's weight more than enjoying the hunt... think about a redo.

That's how I've gone about it over the past 40yrs. And as I got older, the rifles had to continue getting lighter, in order to enjoy my time afield.

Depending on your age, condition, and the physical demands of where and how you hunt, 11lbs might be OK for you.

Last edited:
That's pushing my limit for backpack hunting the mountains. Try it and see how it goes. If you find yourself cussing your rifle's weight more than enjoying the hunt... think about a redo.

That's how I've go e about it over the past 40yrs. And as I got older, the rifles had to continue getting lighter, in order to enjoy my time afield.

Depending on your age, condition, and the physical demands of where and how you hunt, 11lbs might be OK for you.
My current rifle is 10.5lbs with ammo.

Do you recall the weight of your Manners stock?
The camo pattern... is a surface applied paint or a laminate of some sort?
Very nice looking stock, for sure.
The stock was very light. I want to say it was like 22oz.

This is from the build sheet.
MCS-EH2 - Elite Tac Moola

I believe it's painted over the carbon fiber then coated with a matte finish.

Manners could certainly answer that and I might have to do some digging

Something I learned on my norma....

I would put a small dab on black fingernail polish on the front and rear of the rings. Watch this, if your scope moves, like mine did, then the fingernail polish will crack and show it. I had my scope move around 1/8" in 100ish rounds, and that was in a one piece mount, and the scope bedded in 4 screw rings. My rifle is 9.5 lbs, so a little lighter, but my scope is only 25 oz, so significantly lighter than yours. I would definitely do this, if for nothing else, than to monitor and have piece of mind that your optic isn't moving. The remedy I am doing is going to a pinned rail and 4 scope rings vs. two.

Something I learned on my norma....

I would put a small dab on black fingernail polish on the front and rear of the rings. Watch this, if your scope moves, like mine did, then the fingernail polish will crack and show it. I had my scope move around 1/8" in 100ish rounds, and that was in a one piece mount, and the scope bedded in 4 screw rings. My rifle is 9.5 lbs, so a little lighter, but my scope is only 25 oz, so significantly lighter than yours. I would definitely do this, if for nothing else, than to monitor and have piece of mind that your optic isn't moving. The remedy I am doing is going to a pinned rail and 4 scope rings vs. two.
Had the same problem with my 338 Norma (8lb 12oz with a 19.7oz Leupold VX5HD on top). The scope sits in 20MOA Talley lightweights.

I've also put a witness nail polish on the rings, but it hasn't moved since I lapped the rings and then put rosin on the join between rings and scope tube. More testing to come as we move out of winter.
338 Norma 8Jan21.jpg

Attached photo is before I swapped the magazine over the a HS Precision setup which added a little weight.
Scales SM.jpg

Thanks Gents!

I will do the nail polish marking. I have a lapping kit and will get around to that this weekend. I also like the idea of two sets of scope rings. I will just have to make sure two sets will not interfere with anything.

Unfortunately the height rings I need to run a second set are in and out of stock. Always out of stock when I look of course.

This is the Achilles heel of the big 338's ... my 338 RUM weighs 7 lbs 14 oz bare (no scope/mounts) and always tried to run lighter weights scopes to keep the rifle weight down, and all of those scopes have died and had to be rebuilt by the manufacturer. In many cases the scope manufacturers would just send me brand new scopes. 5 scopes total all have died on my 338, finally stepped up to the new Nightforce NX8... so far so good, but they all would last about 200-300 rounds before breaking...

Ya, the massive double recoil if you have a brake is a killer. In talking to Kirby Allen, that is why he either uses spurh one piece mounts, or at least 3, if not 4 Nightforce rings on his builds, he was having the same issue. He pins all his rails as well. Then if everything is good, the scope is taking the brunt of the recoil, and if it's not a solid optic, it will break.....so everything must be over-engineered, and also kept light if that is the goal. Challenging, but I think rewarding if it is accomplished!

Which scopes does Kirby rank highly in survivability? Did he happen to mention that in your conversation?

Here's the weight of my rifle now with the NX8. I joke that it is still a SUB 10-lb rifle. Note the 6-fastener Nightforce rings. 20 MOA rail is pinned to the action. I've personally never had a scope slip in the rings on this rifle, but I thought the heavier scope justified the extra clamping force from the larger rings.

I should also note that I "liquid pinned" the rings to the rail... in other words, after coating the interfacing surfaces of the rings/rail with oil, I installed the rings with epoxy to fill the small gaps in the interface so it cannot shift from recoil.

B838CDA4-9E93-4325-92C8-BDA8D29C206F.jpeg

Which scopes does Kirby rank highly in survivability? Did he happen to mention that in your conversation?
He didn't mention a scope, but I know nightforce scopes are used a lot, as would be expected. On the 4 ring sets, or even three ring, he likes to have them pressed opposite directions against the lugs to counteract the double recoil