338 Mega

How's it going with the Tikka build and load development? I'm inretested in putting together a switch barrel Tikka with a shorty for .338mega. Would love to see some pics!
Here's a pic of my 338 Mega. Built on a Tikka action, Bartlein barrel, and Mesa Precision stock. I started load development last year with a 250 gr Badlands SuperBulldozer II and then got distracted by some other things in life. Going to pick it back up this spring. My buddy built one at same time and has done tons more load development with his. His shoots the same bullet and a 250 gr Berger really well with N550

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 100
Here's a pic of my 338 Mega. Built on a Tikka action, Bartlein barrel, and Mesa Precision stock. I started load development last year with a 250 gr Badlands SuperBulldozer II and then got distracted by some other things in life. Going to pick it back up this spring. My buddy built one at same time and has done tons more load development with his. His shoots the same bullet and a 250 gr Berger really well with N550

Thanks for the info. What magazines are you using for that build?

Barrel length and velocity with the 250 SBD2? Should be a great combo.

What length barrels are you guys running and what kind of speeds? Do you think 2900 is possible with a 250gr Berger or similar Hammer Hunter out of a 20" barrel?

Beautiful build! Great folks over at Mountain Tactical!

I'm having two 338 Megas built as we speak. I should have both of them in my hands to start testing out loads within the next 3-4 weeks. One is utilizing a Bergara short action with the magazine box opened up to 3.100" for 200-230 grain bullets using the shorter reamer. The second is being built on an existing Ruger M77 Hawkeye long action with 26" barrel (I love the older style rifles most of us grew up learning to hunt with; controlled feed with that big claw extractor, etc). Planning on shooting the 270 ELD-X's in it; possibly the 250 Bergers depending on which shoots the best. Was wondering if anyone has tried the 265-270 class of bullets in the 338 Mega yet?

Last edited:
Well my first 338 Mega built on a Ruger Hawkeye M77 action is set to arrive tomorrow. Hoping to get some brass fire-formed up tomorrow afternoon and then starting load development Sunday. I decided to go with the short reamer on both the Bergara and the Ruger builds. However my gunsmith used a uni-throatier on the Ruger build giving it an extra .130" throat over the medium reamer. He told me the 250 Berger Elite Hunter cartridge overall length is now 3.320". The 270 ELD-X max length at the lands is 3.270" which will set the ELD-X around .020-.030" above the neck shoulder junction. I will post my results as my load development proceeds through this weekend.

Well my first 338 Mega built on a Ruger Hawkeye M77 action is set to arrive tomorrow. Hoping to get some brass fire-formed up tomorrow afternoon and then starting load development Sunday. I decided to go with the short reamer on both the Bergara and the Ruger builds. However my gunsmith used a uni-throatier on the Ruger build giving it an extra .130" throat over the medium reamer. He told me the 250 Berger Elite Hunter cartridge overall length is now 3.320". The 270 ELD-X max length at the lands is 3.270" which will set the ELD-X around .020-.030" above the neck shoulder junction. I will post my results as my load development proceeds through this weekend.
Looking forward to seeing some pictures as well! Who had the reamer? I see CarbonSix has the 7 Mega, but I haven't found anyone with the 338 Mega.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures as well! Who had the reamer? I see CarbonSix has the 7 Mega, but I haven't found anyone with the 338 Mega.
I use Chris Brown at Long Range Customs for almost all of my long range hunting rifle builds. Rich Sherman and Chris live like 15 mins apart of something like that so Chris has access to Rich's reamers easily. I will post pics of the Ruger tomorrow evening once I get it scoped up.