338 Marlin Express-Lever Action

I hand delivered the MXLR to Brockman's Custom Gunsmithing today. I asked him to try to make it work like a Marlin before Remington got their hands on it.

Weird... I have to take it to a custom gunsmith to bring it up to factory standards.

I've got a 1968 336RC straight stocked model in 30/30 and looks like it is in excellent condition. It has had a box or two of factory loads through it and no failures.

With reloads there were lots of misfires. The CCI primers were the worst. I've been reloading for 53 years and never had a problem like this. One thing I learned was the rim thickness really varies on 30/30 brass. I have shot reloads in M94's without any problems.

Anyhow I tried all the remedies from Marlinowners.com including a new rear firing pin, spring, and main spring. They were out of the front pins. A little better strikes but still have misfires. The headspace is within specs. I guess a one piece pin is the only way to go, and I'm not sure that will work.

Send it to Remington, uh I don't think so.

Not really trying to change the sbuject, but as far as misfires there seem to be quite a few 336's no matter what the age that have had this problem.

ba19500, Your not changing the subject at all. Thanks for pointing that out.

I too have heard that a one piece pin is more reliable but if you change the fundamental design of the safety features, you could really be asking for trouble in the unlikely event of an accidental discharge. Seems like a good opportunity for the aftermarket people.

Anyhow I tried all the remedies from Marlinowners.com including a new rear firing pin, spring, and main spring. They were out of the front pins. A little better strikes but still have misfires. The headspace is within specs. I guess a one piece pin is the only way to go, and I'm not sure that will work.

Send it to Remington, uh I don't think so.

Not really trying to change the sbuject, but as far as misfires there seem to be quite a few 336's no matter what the age that have had this problem.

I notice that when I take a shot, cycle, and lower the hammer and return it to half cock, then cock for the next shot, I almost always get a good primer strike even after a misfire. Something's hanging up.

Mike,

If there was a liablility problem I don't think they would be in business. If a certain part is left out it would be a problem. Swaney over on Marlinowners tried to make his go off with a one piece pin but couldn't do it.

The pin is freefloating so I suspect it would go off it dropped on the hammer, which isn't likely. Probably noisy too. I don't know of any other solution.

Some of my rounds won't go off at all.

It doesn't look like a reliable system and I am sure there there are lots of 336 owners that would disagree with me.

That's really tough getting two bad ones like that.

I've bumped around over at MarlinOwners before. It's very informative but not everything suggested works. I keep thinking that Freedom Group will have so much money that they'll take Marlin way beyond anyone's wildest expectations. Sorta like those Texas millionaires that make it their personal responsibility to have the best high school football team in the state.

Here's an idea... How about a Freedom Group Rep (decision maker only please) explain it to us.

Not entirely on subject but have any of you owned or cycled a Henry lever Action? Not the 22 peashooter but the large bore model.

I'm quite taken back by it's looks and thinking about acquiring one....

There has to be some kind of quality control in New York, somewhere.....:D

I notice that when I take a shot, cycle, and lower the hammer and return it to half cock, then cock for the next shot, I almost always get a good primer strike even after a misfire. Something's hanging up.

My oldest Marlin is a late 1970's rifle, and I think my newest one is about ten years old. All are pretty much stock except for one. Have never had a single missfire on any of them, and this issue is totally new to me. Tobe exact, I can't remember ever having a missfire on any lever gun I own. (I own about a dozen or more)
gary

My oldest Marlin is a late 1970's rifle, and I think my newest one is about ten years old. All are pretty much stock except for one. Have never had a single missfire on any of them, and this issue is totally new to me. Tobe exact, I can't remember ever having a missfire on any lever gun I own. (I own about a dozen or more)
gary

All part of new era Remington/Marlin philosophy of manufacturing. Put a shine on the outside and ship it.

yesterday I looked at four RemLins at a local dealer, and I didn't even like they way the fit the parts up! Felt like they had sand inside them. I passed
gary

Marlin stopped production (allegedly) of a bunch of their lever actions but filled existing orders. Those gritty rifles you were looking at were probably "more of the same" from the icons of gun making at RemLin. Here's the list:

Marlin Stops Shipping Lever Rifles | The Truth About Guns

Here's RemLins explanation for the shutdown:

Marlin Shoots Down Rumors of Production Stoppage. Ish. | The Truth About Guns

How's that for a brushoff? According to this, they've been doing a great job.

My first two Harleys were AMF bikes and they were OK, but nothing great. I had one break down in all the time that I owned these two bikes, and it was really odd. The battery cable lead broke in two! Later I bought a Kawasaki and it did exactly the samething! (I must be jinxed).

In my field of work I was in, I would often get access to many factories that it took an act of congress to get into. In turn we would allow their guys to come into our plants for a tour (not like a regular business tour but a indepth look see). I was up in Milwaukee back in the mid eighties for a machine run off at K&T, and got the tour of the Harley engine plant from a guy in their engineering staff. They were right in the middle of a run of XR750 stuff as well as the regular stuff we would be buying. I wasn't at all impressed. They were doing everything with late 1950's and early 1960's technology, and everything was done by hand assembly with no serious checks along the way till they actually fired up the engine!! Yet I looked over in the racks and some some serious state of the art tooling and a couple Cross transfer machines just setting there unused (new?). Asked the guy about the fixtures and the Cross Transfer machines, and the engineer was stunned as I was the only person that'd every noticed them; let alone asked him about them. Said they spent several million dollars on the stuff, but had never used any of it as they were actually scared of it. I found out why after looking at the tooling closely (nice stuff by the way). It was a completely different modular engine design. Won't go much deeper as it's their secrets. I told him they could stull cut the cases on the Cross machines for about 1/4 the cost involved, but most all the parts would assemble much easier and faster. About six months later I get a phone call from that same guy asking for a tour, and the boss had me take on a walk thru. First thing he asked me about was those transfer machines (we had about a two dozen different ones at the time) so I took him out to an older area that had been tooled up in the mid 1970's. He looked at this one Lamb Transfer that was "U" shaped and bout 250 feet long cutting automatic transmission cases (one comming out every three minutes and forty seconds). Then I took him over to a couple Cross transfers similar to what he had. They were cutting valve bodies and tail shaft housings. Later in the day I took him over to see some state of the art stuff that had been tooled up in the last 36 months in an FMS system. There were eight K&T MM2200 machine centers being loaded off of robotic cars with no operators around. Told him we could run that area with the lights out! Then I took him on a tour thru two assembly areas. One was old, but still much more modern than what he was used to. And the other was state of the art. They were doing more automatic transmissions in a day that Harley was building engines in a week. A week or so later he calls me up to ask me if we did any precision welding, and had him came back. This time he brought his boss and two other engineers. They thanked us for the tours and said that they might be asking for help as they were wanting to tool up the transfer machines, and maybe later setup an FMS system. Told him by the time they would be ready this stuff would be out dated, and they just need to go accross town to K&T for the latest stuff. I did tell him that I would have loved to taken him accross the street into the military side, but they would not let him in there. In there he'd have seen machine centers everywhere, and the best tooling money could buy.

So how does this effect Remington? They operated only slightly better than Harley did! Had they done it right they'd have about $150 in a Model 700 going out the door (the metal parts), and the whole package would be with less than .003" error in it period.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.