.338 Lupua

My Load: 300 Berger Elite Hunter, 91gr H1000, Lapua Brass, Fed215M Primers = 2851 FPS.

Depending on your chambering, you should find a load somewhere between 90-92 grains. I'd start around 88-89 and go up until you hit pressure. For me, my accuracy was found at .015 off, which for me is 2.989" BTO.
When I measured my headspace with the 300 elite hunters, I came up with 3.915?

My Load: 300 Berger Elite Hunter, 91gr H1000, Lapua Brass, Fed215M Primers = 2851 FPS.

Depending on your chambering, you should find a load somewhere between 90-92 grains. I'd start around 88-89 and go up until you hit pressure. For me, my accuracy was found at .015 off, which for me is 2.989" BTO.

Wow!

What is your barrel length, maker, etc?

Mine is a factory Savage 112 barrel on an FCP 110 action. Still has some hope to speed up once it gets a few more through it.

Running a factory Savage 110 FCP with "torqued" HS stock. 100 yd grouping. (5th shot - flyer is operator error.)
88.7 gr H1000, 300 gr Nosler CC, COAL 3.681", Winchester LRM primer, = 2750fpm.
300 gr Berger OTM will provide the same.
285 gr Hornady, will provide similar with 89.2 gr of H1000.

Attachments

• image338.jpeg
    image338.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
Good morning,
I have a custom.338 Lapua. 30 inch Keriger barrel, Holland muzzle brake, Remington long action blueprinted. It has a Tim. Trigger and finished off with a Valdada scope.
Issue: I can't get the thing to group with a darn. I'm currently using R33. The Nosler is 300 grain Accubonds. The Berger is 300 grain elite hunters. Any expertise with this caliber would be awesome. Lapua brass and Federal match mag primers.
View attachment 398350View attachment 398351View attachment 398352View attachment 398353
Your brake adds anothe 2+ inches to the barrel length. Perhaps the harmonics are off. Can you easily remove the break then shoot a couple of groups. Are you shooting off a sandbagged bench? Does the rifle have a bipod attached? If you are shooting reloads, buy a box of factory ammo and try that just for a sanity check. Then shoot a session where you single hand feed each round, don't cycle it out of the magazine. Whomever put the rifle together for you, I'm sure they proof fired it, contact them and see what ammo they used and hopefully you can get the same ammo and give that a session. What is the twist rate on your barrel? for both that Berger and Nosler bullet the recommended optimal twist is 1:10. It would be interesting to see a group at distance (say 300yds or so) to see if the bullets stay stabilized.

Both RL33 and Retumbo are great powders for the weight of bullets you are shooting in your 338 Lapua. With such open groups, I doubt that seating depth will have much impact. I suspect something else is going on. I would swap out scopes, and re-check my torque setting on your chasis. Also, shooting at 200 is a minimum for me when starting load development - especially with long, heavy bullets.

Last edited:
With such open groups, I doubt that seating depth will have much impact. I suspect something else is going on.
Yes, good point - mine were not that big, but when I am in Phoenix, I test LR loads at 500 yards. In CO, typically 100 because my 500 yard gong is only 10x12.

I have a Ruger Precision Rifle in .338 LM and it loves US 869. I've experimented with that and 50 BGM, both which work very well using 300 gr Bergers. H1000 also good. Have a Fierce .338 LM that shoots 3/4" (sometimes better) using H1000, US 869, not as good using 50 BMG. Have used 236 gr Cutting Edge, 250 gr Lapua Scenar, 270 Hornady ELDX in the Fierce. Many loads shoot 3-shot groups into 3/4" or better. Have put about 500 rounds through this. Love it.

You have got tons of good advice here so far and if I were you I wouldn't know where to start first. Lol. I just wanna throw one more thing at you. I shoot a little different rifle 338-378 and my experience has been a 1 in 10 twist doesn't like a 300 grain bullet.....I bumped down to a 275 grain bullet and shoots way better. What's the reason for a 300 grain bullet and would you be willing to try something different? I shoot Parker bullets 275 grain. I could help out a brother with a few bullets if you wanted to try em. If you get a chance check out their line up @ parkerproductionsinc. It's a custom bullet for long range hunting.