338 long range questions?

bubbagodkin

Hi guys, I am looking at making a long range 338 hunting rifle. mostly for elk and ocasionally white tail. I live in canada so the prices may seem higher but I am looking at $2300 to build a 338 edge and then the price of a stock on top of that, and bedding. so probably right around $3000 for a edge built on a model 700 action, (30" rock creek barrel in heavy contour,with brake)

I can buy a HS precision HTR in 338 lapua for about $3800 brand new.

I am also thinking of going full custom and buying a aftermarket action to make a 338 lapua with detachable mag. what actions would you guys reccomend?

It is a real pain trying to get a 338 up here as everyone is trying to sell me a sako trg for $4500 and i can't bring myself to spend that much.....

If you can build a custom rifle in either 338 Edge or 338 Lapua - that would be the way I would go. Can't see any advantage of the HS/HTR that would warrant an additional $800; but then different styles appeal to different shooters.

If you can, go custom. I would go with Borden Timberline Magnum receiver.

Hi guys, I am looking at making a long range 338 hunting rifle. mostly for elk and ocasionally white tail. I live in canada so the prices may seem higher but I am looking at $2300 to build a 338 edge and then the price of a stock on top of that, and bedding. so probably right around $3000 for a edge built on a model 700 action, (30" rock creek barrel in heavy contour,with brake)

I can buy a HS precision HTR in 338 lapua for about $3800 brand new.

I am also thinking of going full custom and buying a aftermarket action to make a 338 lapua with detachable mag. what actions would you guys reccomend?

It is a real pain trying to get a 338 up here as everyone is trying to sell me a sako trg for $4500 and i can't bring myself to spend that much.....

Hi,

I build my 338edge from a 300rum, burned the barel, and replaced it with 30in Rock Crick heavy contour. The rifle is a little bit to heavy, so if you can go on 30in LIja you could go around 15lb rifle.
Go Edge all the way, and use 300SMK, because is not worth the extra money for 338Lapua.
I love my edge and never lock back.
What part of Canada are you from? I'm from Alberta.

I built my 338 Lapua on a Rem 700 Action with a Rock Creek barrel carbon wrapped by ABS. Also I went with the Seekin Detachable box Magazine that will take a 3.9" over all length

Mine wieghs about 12 pounds scope included

Picture059.jpg

I'm assuming Sylvan Lake in central Alberta, Canada. If so then Shawn Carlock who developed the 338 Edge is in Idaho and maybe the closest smith to you and an excellent one. In any event here's his Website link with telephone number, email address and business address as well as info on Edge.

..::Defensive Edge - Custom Gunsmithing::..

Why spend all that money? You can buy a 700 remington 338 ultramag. Same performance as the 338-300 ultramag or edge you mentioned. If you want to go top end then you can buy a Weatherby Accumark in 338-378 and gain about 200 fps over the ultramag case. Cabelas in Billings has some like new accumarks in 338-378 that can be bought for $1200-$1300. That would be your best buy.

Bubbagodkin, 338 rum same performance as 338 Edge hard to agree or disagree since performance could mean different things to different folks...just do your homework on the Edge-Talk with Shawn-208-687-2659 he's easy to get a hold of and won't mind spending the time to answer all your questions. Most folks here are deleriously happy with their EDGE...haven't heard a bad word yet on them..Shawn built alot of em for them. Keep in mind Weatherby brass is expensive, 338-378 gobbles powder and unless one has physically held and looked closely at a rifle then I couldn't say it's like new.

ya I have been in talks with rick, and have no doubt in his quality of work. I think I will be choosing him to build the rifle.

Long Time Long Ranger what kind of FPS do you get with your 338-378 and 300SMK and what length barrel are you using to get said FPS???

I have a 338-378 Accumark but have only used 225 and 250 NAB.

B23, I have seven 338-378's in 28 and 30 inch barrels. They will average about 3050 fps with the 300 smk. The 225's get close to 3500 fps. The 250s get around 3300 fps.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts