338 Lapua

My 338 Lapua is throated to run 300 grain Bergers @ 3-15/16" OAL (ref) giving a little more capacity however, but I can still shoot factory ammo if necessary, probably not a good idea with an AI. The Lapua was shortened from the 416 Rigby length to be more efficient, now the 338 Norma has become the new darling (shorter yet) and a little less powerful, yet a decent choice. Lapua brass is available for both, and has done a great job for me.

depending on the bolt face; that would dictate which .338" cartridge I go with. IF I had a 0.532" standard magnum case head then go with the 338 Win Mag, 338 Rum, or some other 338 magnum. if you have the 0.588" bolt face for the Lapua, then go with the Lapua. I own one and love it. I also own a 338 Win Mag.
I would also use a 1:8" twist. I am getting a rebarrel on both of my 338's right now. I hated being limited to 275 grain slugs in my 338 WinMag and my Lapua shoots the 250's great, the 300 grain VLD's not so much with a 1:10" twist on the barrel.

Is there ever a good source for brass or loaded ammo that isnt so **** expensive? I've got a Weatherby Mark V that needs a new barrel and I was thinking 338 Lapua. 338 Winny is much more practical and better priced but the Lapua is the Lapua. Be fun to have something big.
I have MKV with a factory 338LM and it's a rocket. You could probably get a Weatherby Accumark barrel, they will even install it.

Warbird2006. I have my eye on an accumark 338 lapua, I have afew questions about it if you don't mind the trouble.. is it accurate, how's the recoil and are you able to reach the lands with say a 300 grain berger or similar bullet. Thanks

I have a 338-416 Rigby Improved 45° shoulder. It currently has 922 rounds down, barrel is tired. It is 32", around 300 rounds ago, I could have set-back and re-chambered, but it is beyond that now.
I will get maybe another 300 rounds, it will probably open to 1MoA prior to reaching that number. Still shoots my custom CNC turned HBN coated bullet of 323g sub half inch, but anything else is MoA or a little better. When new, it was a genuine 1/4 MoA barrel.
I am perfectly happy with the round count, as I thought it wouldn't go this far, it was an unknown and has proven faster than expected. Very happy with this Bartlein barrel.

Cheers.