338 Lapua ???

The Rogue is definitely on the possible list. Thanks for the info. Do you shoot the Rogue? If so, what do you like and dislike about it?

You have the 338AX, 338AI, 338 Rouge, 338 Terminator as the main ones. I'd buy a 1-9 maybe faster that's just me I'd look at the 275gr CE Lazer. Slightly better B.C over the 300gr Berger and can be pushed an extra 10-150fps faster.

The Rogue is definitely on the possible list. Thanks for the info. Do you shoot the Rogue? If so, what do you like and dislike about it?

The current selection of .338 cartridges is very impressive, covering everything from subsonic to the extreme long range cartridges fired from our largest actions. There is literally everything for everybody if you just take the time to look and explore.

The .338 Rogue was interesting to me because I felt that the Ackley version was just a tad too much. So I bought the reamer and started cutting chambers for testing. It is a successful version in my opinion although not as prevalent as the AI version. The drawback in my use was the length of the cartridge but this is overcome with single shot actions. When my needs started to involve magazine feeding I switched to other cartridges.

Nowadays I prefer the .338 Norma Mag but with either a 30 or 32 degree shoulder. The case length and OAL fit my desire for magazine feeding when I accept the limits of using the great 250 grain bullets. The 300 grain bullets and other more specialized LR bullets scream for the larger capacity cases and higher velocities.

Upping the ante requires bigger cases with more capacity which requires bigger actions and much longer barrels and most importantly, MUCH better glass.

You have the 338AX, 338AI, 338 Rouge, 338 Terminator as the main ones. I'd buy a 1-9 maybe faster that's just me I'd look at the 275gr CE Lazer. Slightly better B.C over the 300gr Berger and can be pushed an extra 10-150fps faster.
The 300 Berger has a G7 bc of .429 G1 of .837, the 275 MTH has a G7 bc of .412 and G1 of .805, so actually it is slightly less than the 300 Berger, however I believe the extra 100 fps+ would still give it a better trajectory. This is according to the CE site and Applied Ballistics, did you get your data somewhere else? I am currently trying out the 270 Badlands Superbulldozer in my .338 nm, with a .803 G1 bc, and from other users I have talked to, around a .400 G7. I may try the CE eventually, but have heard mixed reviews on their terminal performance, plus they are more than $20 more per 50 than the badlands, though that isn't necessarily a huge factor....

The 300 Berger has a G7 bc of .429 G1 of .837, the 275 MTH has a G7 bc of .412 and G1 of .805, so actually it is slightly less than the 300 Berger, however I believe the extra 100 fps+ would still give it a better trajectory. This is according to the CE site and Applied Ballistics, did you get your data somewhere else? I am currently trying out the 270 Badlands Superbulldozer in my .338 nm, with a .803 G1 bc, and from other users I have talked to, around a .400 G7. I may try the CE eventually, but have heard mixed reviews on their terminal performance, plus they are more than $20 more per 50 than the badlands, though that isn't necessarily a huge factor....

Cody, what velocity are you getting with the SBs in your 338 Norma? Is it a straight up Norma or Norma Improved? What's your barrel length?

It was the 275gr Lazer and yes these were Shawn Carlocks findings. With one of his LRKM's. I might be mistaken on the bullet he used. I am seeing the 277 MTAC has a G1 of .825

Last edited:
I'm seeing RL33 being mentioned as a top choice for 338 Lapua based cartridges. What others should I be on the lookout for? Retumbo is already on my buy list for my 300 PRC.

Cody, what velocity are you getting with the SBs in your 338 Norma? Is it a straight up Norma or Norma Improved? What's your barrel length?
Haven't loaded them up yet, they are being tumbled in HBN as we speak, and I'm on days off starting saturday. The 265 ABLR hit 2865-2880 well under max with all three IMR7828ssc, H1000, and RL26, so 2900 or close should be doable with the 270. Standard CIP Norma.I still haven't tried Retumbo or VV-N570 yet, not sure if I'll get enough in the case to reach pressure.

Haven't loaded them up yet, they are being tumbled in HBN as we speak, and I'm on days off starting saturday. The 265 ABLR hit 2865-2880 well under max with all three IMR7828ssc, H1000, and RL26, so 2900 or close should be doable with the 270. Standard CIP Norma.I still haven't tried Retumbo or VV-N570 yet, not sure if I'll get enough in the case to reach pressure.

Right on. I'm interested to hear what velocities you get and how load development goes for them. I'm on the fence about building one but if you legitimately get 2900 with them, then that would be worth it.

Right on. I'm interested to hear what velocities you get and how load development goes for them. I'm on the fence about building one but if you legitimately get 2900 with them, then that would be worth it.
This is with a 24" barrel as well. You can follow these threads so we don't derail this one....

I have a 338 Lapua Magnum Ackley Improved (40*--the std.) with a 32" Bartlein 1:9.5-1:8 gain twist barrel. Stretching it out translates to the 256 gn Flatline being driven by RL26 see attached. Using 285 Flatlines driven by RL26 see attached.
This is a single shot rifle that weighs 22 pounds. I have never fired a cap and core bullet through this barrel nor have I shot any bullet weighing more than 285 gn. If the temperature gets above zero Monday I'll be firing my first 270 gn Badlands (just five and starting out at 92 gn RL26), this is also from virgin brass. The two attached are among--if not the--first firings of these Flatlines. Presently I have 259 shots down the barrel and examination (bore scope) shows minimal fire cracking at the neck/rifling juncture--about an eighth of an inch, but faint beginnings are imprinting a little over and inch down the barrel. If there's interest I can attach these and other photographic records...

Attachments

• IMG_7021.JPG
    IMG_7021.JPG
    719.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7022.JPG
    IMG_7022.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
Have you considered the 338 Edge.. the receiver isn't as bulky and a bit lighter. I'm getting 3010 FPS out of a standard edge, 28" bartline 1-10 twist using 300 grn otm's, 108 grn's of Rl 33 low es's & sd's. I'm guessing you could get even more speed with the improved.

Tom