338 Lapua Savage Action for $495.00

Cruizin

I've been waiting for this to happen for awhile now and it looks like it might be available. On their website under sporter actions it lists a 300WM long action with a magnum bolt head. This should work for a 338 lapua right, or is it not the large shank?

I've been wishing someone would make a 338 Lapua action that's not $1000.00 for years now. Has my dream finally come true?

Savage Arms Firearms > sporter

That is their standard action. Their 338 Lapua rifle uses a redesigned action that they say won't be available by itself. Savage seems good about giving customers what they want though so maybe in the future they'll sell it seperately?

I was afraid that was the case. Maybe we should all call in and request this action be available for purchase as action only. If they are already making it, it shouldn't be too hard for them to offer it as action only.

I'll have to give them a call on Monday and make a polite request. I encourage others to do so as well.

I was afraid that was the case. Maybe we should all call in and request this action be available for purchase as action only. If they are already making it, it shouldn't be too hard for them to offer it as action only.

I'll have to give them a call on Monday and make a polite request. I encourage others to do so as well.

I already called an made that request. The more they hear about it the better our chances. They should be able to sale quite a few if they offer them.

The problem is... do they want to undercut the sales of their complete rifles by selling the actions only?

The last six months to a year, many (most) times when I see someone ask about buying a Savage 12 F-Class, F/TR, Palma, BR, whatever... some well meaning souls tell them 'you can build your own cheaper', and give them a list of pieces, parts, and sources for said. Yes, Savage sells an action. But they don't sell a complete rifle, which is really what they are in business for. So what are their options? Raise the price of the actions until they won't under cut their main business, or stop selling the bare actions entirely. I don't really like either option, personally, but I can't fault people trying to help their fellow shooters save money either.

YMMV,

Monte

I'm using a Savage target action on my lapua with great results. It has a 32" Dauglas brl. and shoots around 2950fps with 300gr Smk's.

Yeah, I was about to tell them about your rifle.

You can use the Sporter Long Action with ease and yes it is the large shank. Like was just said, SavageShtr has been using a target action with great effect in the short action in 338 Lapua. The only draw backs to this setup is two fold, you have to pull the bolt to eject a loaded round (not a big deal if you are at the end of your hunt), but fired casings eject without any issues. It is only a single action. For obvious reasons trying to use a magazine would not work with a long bullet, and a short action. For long range, a single shot action really isn't an issue IMHO.

Tank

You can use the Sporter Long Action with ease and yes it is the large shank.

Tank

Are you sure its the large shank? I talked with Jim at Northlanders and he said they don't offer a large shank long action. He said he was going to a dealer show though and was planning on speaking with Savage about this.

Are you sure its the large shank? I talked with Jim at Northlanders and he said they don't offer a large shank long action. He said he was going to a dealer show though and was planning on speaking with Savage about this.

I read either on the web site or in an article that the 300WM, 300WSM, 338WM, 7mmRM, 270WSM are all large shank. I wish I could remember where I read that though.

Tank

The bolt face was opened up to allow for the larger case head. I really like the single shot action with the left hand ejection port makes for quick follow up shots.

Savage made the ultra mags in both a large and small shank. I personally have a large shank, long action,blind magazine. They have been discontinued for awhile but not impossible to find. No recall was ever done on the small shank ultra mags. I would think if there was a safety issue they would cover their rear by doing a recall. Do your own research, specifically the pressure differences and case size between the Ultras and the Lapua. I kow for a fact that Pac-Nor and Shilen will make small shank Ultra Mags and .338 Edge barrels, not sure about the Lapua. I am ignorant regarding the Lapua I think the Edge would be the way to go.

Bolt face was brought up somewhere, this is a non issue, the floating bolt heads are cheap, easy to install and available from Northlander, Sharp Shooters Supply, Midway etc.

You can find the answers you need on Savageshooters.com or from Jim Briggs (Northlander) or Fred Moreno (SSS)

Good luck, I love my tack drivin, ugly Savages

Josh

Last edited:
The edge is a nice round don't get me wrong but, I personally like the Lapua the brass is awsome and it is out performing the edge. My lapua is running 300gr smk's at 2980fps and the edge is running 2850fps with the same load. I have 300 rounds down the tube without any problems. The smith that built my rifle would not have done it if he thought there was an issue. The Savage action is in my opinion (and only my opinion) that the savage action is more than adequate to handle any round on the market except the chy-tac based calibers. The target action that I am using is a stout action with the solid action with only an opening for ejection port.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.