338 Lapua - Redding vs Hornady Reloading Dies

leishman

Hello Everyone!

Long time reader, first time asking for advice. I am currently finishing up a custom 338 lapua on a Lone Peak action. I just need to develop a load before hunting season.

For reference, our typical ranges are 500 - 1200 yards for hunting (avg around 650) and ~1500 for target. I've heard great things about the 300 bergers for hunting, but I haven't been able to find them in stock anywhere for the last few months. The only other 300 grain bullet I can find is the hornady 300 grain A-tip, which seem like they'd do the job without going into the discussion of using a match bullet for hunting.

My question is if I can reload a Hornady A-tip on Redding bushing dies, or if I have to stick with the Hornady platform? I assume their special seating stem only works with Hornady dies? I've heard so many great things about the Redding dies, I'd like to use them if they could, but maybe I just need to hold out for some Bergers coming in stock.

Thanks for the help!

Hello Everyone!

Long time reader, first time asking for advice. I am currently finishing up a custom 338 lapua on a Lone Peak action. I just need to develop a load before hunting season.

For reference, our typical ranges are 500 - 1200 yards for hunting (avg around 650) and ~1500 for target. I've heard great things about the 300 bergers for hunting, but I haven't been able to find them in stock anywhere for the last few months. The only other 300 grain bullet I can find is the hornady 300 grain A-tip, which seem like they'd do the job without going into the discussion of using a match bullet for hunting.

My question is if I can reload a Hornady A-tip on Redding bushing dies, or if I have to stick with the Hornady platform? I assume their special seating stem only works with Hornady dies? I've heard so many great things about the Redding dies, I'd like to use them if they could, but maybe I just need to hold out for some Bergers coming in stock.

Thanks for the help!
I use Redding dies to reload for my 338 Lapua, I mostly shoot 250 grain burger elite Hunter bullets there's no need for the 300s added recoil and slower velocities until you get out past 1500 yards in my opinion.

I'm currently loading a Badlands 275 SBD2 using a Redding competition seating die with a VLD seating stem with no issues. I was loading for the Berger 300 EOL. Very happy with Redding dies, very repeatable.

300EOL - 1.816"
275SBD2 - 2"

I use Redding dies to reload for my 338 Lapua, I mostly shoot 250 grain burger elite Hunter bullets there's no need for the 300s added recoil and slower velocities until you get out past 1500 yards in my opinion.
Have you used anything outside of Berger for bullets? I haven't found the 300s or the 250s online or locally for a while.

I'm currently loading a Badlands 275 SBD2 using a Redding competition seating die with a VLD seating stem with no issues. I was loading for the Berger 300 EOL. Very happy with Redding dies, very repeatable.

300EOL - 1.816"
275SBD2 - 2"
I wasn't familiar with Badlands bullets, but they look sexy! A .880 bc is ridiculous as well. How fast are you pushing those?

And how has it been ordering from Badlands? Have they been consistent with having bullets in stock?

Right now I'm averaging 2912 fps. Haven't finished load development yet, but should be close.

No issues from Badlands, with the exception of shipping charges. But that's everything anymore.

Hello Everyone!

Thanks for the help!
300 SMKs are readily available and a great a great alternate...at least for me!