338 Lapua Rebarrel

I am seated all the way to the top of the first ring at .185" off the lands, Hammers are not supposed to be critical of seating depth but at 1.5MOA, I am going to seat them longer. My magazine length will let me seat out to .067" off the lands. Perhaps I should start there instead of the full depth where I did start.
I wouldn't let the bullet jump steer you. I shoot the .338 Hammer 285 HH .250" off with good results. ( 1 hole ragged edges @ 100 )
This is with a full case of N570 = best accuracy for me.

This! Good luck!

I, too, have a 1:8" twist, except it is a .338 NMI. If you suspect it is your barrel twist, you might consider https://cuttingedgebullets.com/338-275gr-mth-match-tactical-hunting. It was designed for .338 LM/Magnums with 1:9.5" or faster.
Well I just ordered the cutting edge 275's and also a box of Hammers in 285g. Im going to see which one shoots the best. I switched powder from H1000 to RL26 with the 235g hammer and at magazine length they are .85" off the lands and are shooting around 3/4"MOA but Im going to take your advise with my 1-8 twist and try the longer/heavier bullets.
Thanks FEENIX

Well I just ordered the cutting edge 275's and also a box of Hammers in 285g. Im going to see which one shoots the best. I switched powder from H1000 to RL26 with the 235g hammer and at magazine length they are .85" off the lands and are shooting around 3/4"MOA but Im going to take your advise with my 1-8 twist and try the longer/heavier bullets.
Thanks FEENIX
Good luck! If the 275 CEBs do not work for you, I'd gladly take them off your hands.

This is one of the reasons I went with the .338 NMI over the .338 LMI.

View attachment 448335
View attachment 448336
Hi FEENIX,
I think I want to re barrel this rifle and maybe switch to the 338 Norma magnum. Will my current magazine work? What other things would I consider as far as throat dimensions for the CEB 275's or 285 hammers. I know the ogive's are different on these 2 bullets so I probably would have to choose one before having a shop do the re barrel and chamber. What is your advice on a project like this? I would definitely go with a carbon fiber wrapped barrel for sure.

What bullet were you intending to use when you chose a 1-8" twist and have you tried it? That just seems really fast for 250 or 300 gr Sierras, or even the 235 gr Hammer Hunter.
1:8 338 barrels will shoot just fine.

338 Norma. 28" 1:8 Carbon Six barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    960.2 KB · Views: 52
Why dont you check and see if an extended length magazine box will work with your action. There are several that allow cartridges of up to 4.00 oal to be used

Hi FEENIX,
I think I want to re barrel this rifle and maybe switch to the 338 Norma magnum. Will my current magazine work? What other things would I consider as far as throat dimensions for the CEB 275's or 285 hammers. I know the ogive's are different on these 2 bullets so I probably would have to choose one before having a shop do the re barrel and chamber. What is your advice on a project like this? I would definitely go with a carbon fiber wrapped barrel for sure.
If you cannot attain a 4.00" COAL with your current action, "I" would go with .338 NM/I but would explore if you can use the .338 LM CIP 3.875: mag. This is my 1st carbon-wrapped barrel (C6 1:8" 24" suppressed). You have plenty to choose from. If you do not use a suppressor, I will go with at least 26." Good luck!

I have a Custom Hill Country Rifle chambered in .338 Lapua that has never shot well. I am ready to try a new barrel due to my non ending frustration of trying to get this rifle to shoot. Factory or Homegrown loads have produced less than good and consistent results. I have tried premium ammo and assembled the best components and I am continually disappointed. I have maintained the barrel and have cleaned it down to bare metal and there is no carbon ring to hamper my efforts at accuracy. I have tried powders, primers, bullets and different cases and "cant get no satisfaction" after 477 rounds down the pipe. Current barrel is 1-8" twist 27" stainless steel mounted to a Defiance R1 action.
I think I might want to go with a carbon fiber wrapped barrel to lighten the gun for hunting. So! if you were going to replace the barrel on this rifle what barrel manufacturers suggestions would you recommend (as well as twist rate and length) and WHO would you recommend to do the work. I am in Arizona and would rather take the gun to a smith here than have to ship it out of state but all suggestions would be appreciated.
My other option is to sell this rifle and forget I ever wanted one!
Thanks for the help.
Bartlein makes excellent barrels of your looking for another steel barrel. I have a few spare Broughton barrels (.338/9.3/30") but since Broughton isn't currently offering barrels, I'm holding on to the ones I have. I'm currently shooting a Broughton on my 338 LM Improved. It is extremely accurate with very little load development. I've owned Both X Caliber and Proof Carbon wrapped barrels and I can't get the accuracy from carbon that I get from steel barrels. That's just been my experience. Some can get as good of results. Personally I think it's the shooter and getting familiar with the lighter setup will take some time. I don't think light guns are as easy to get accuracy from until you figure it out at the range.

Bartlein makes excellent barrels of your looking for another steel barrel. I have a few spare Broughton barrels (.338/9.3/30") but since Broughton isn't currently offering barrels, I'm holding on to the ones I have. I'm currently shooting a Broughton on my 338 LM Improved. It is extremely accurate with very little load development. I've owned Both X Caliber and Proof Carbon wrapped barrels and I can't get the accuracy from carbon that I get from steel barrels. That's just been my experience. Some can get as good of results. Personally I think it's the shooter and getting familiar with the lighter setup will take some time. I don't think light guns are as easy to get accuracy from until you figure it out at the range.
Carbon barrels definitely have the potential to be as accurate as steel ones.

IMG_0010.jpeg

Well I made the switch and had Shawn at Triggered precision Machine in Idaho rebarrel this rifle with a PR barrel and chamber it in 338NM. Good consistent groups with 260g Hammer Hunters at .3 to .5MOA at 200yds while using new Lapua brass. The new chambering has allowed me to get closer to the lands that I was unable to do with the 338 Lapua in the detachable magazine. Cant wait to stretch out the yardage when the weather gets a little better.

Shawn did a superb job. You can reach him at [email protected]