.338 Lapua Questions

Ted308

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and am looking for opinions. So I own a 30-378 wby great rifle and longest shot is 782yds. Needless to say it helped the push into long range hunting. I am now having a custom built .338 Lapua with the guys at Predator Custom Shop. After talking with Jim Ruiz and asking him several questions I pulled the trigger on the build and am now patiently waiting. Has anyone worked with this shop? The gun he is building has a 22 inch barrel with a muzzlebreak, any idea on the recoil I can expect? The gun is being set for the Black Hills 300 grain and my goal is to be able to shoot a mile. Just wanted to get some opinions of what I can expect with this rifle. I am a bowhunter but out my place where we do a lot of game management we have to shoot over 150 does and 100 bucks to meet our numbers so I want to start doing long range to make it more interesting, 300 yds is a walk in the park these days, thanks or your time!

You are seriously limiting the long range capabilities of the rifle by going with a 22" barrel. I would go with a 26" barrel or more. Just curious but why did you go with 22"?

90+ grains of powder needs more tube than 22". If you are planning on 300 grain bullets I think 26 should be the minimum, with 28 or 30" ideal. I would expect anyone that has experiance with large chamberings such as the Lapua to know this, and strongly suggest a longer barrel.

Aroshtr

You are seriously limiting the long range capabilities of the rifle by going with a 22" barrel. I would go with a 26" barrel or more. Just curious but why did you go with 22"?

After reading another thread in here it's my understanding that the loss of performance is minimal. I wanted the shorter barrel for easier use in the field. Jim is a competitor in long range shooting and he is building me a replica of his gun.

Might as well go with the Norma then.That has less powder and better design for a shorter barrel. I shot 300 otms at 2750 out of a 26'', not a hot load either.

I would stop that build right now and do a little research at some other shops. That guy cant be serious about a 338 lapua in a 22" barrel . You just lost some needed velocity by shortening the barrel, maybe you meant 1/4 mile or something shorter ?

I would stop that build right now and do a little research at some other shops. That guy cant be serious about a 338 lapua in a 22" barrel . You just lost some needed velocity by shortening the barrel, maybe you meant 1/4 mile or something shorter ?
I have done a lot of research I do not spend that kind of money without research. Some came form this very forum.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/338-lapua-mag-barrel-36200/index5.html

On Sniper forums this guy comes very well recommended I was wondering if anyone from here has worked with him, he did say long barrels are better but targets up to 1700 meters are well within range of a short barrel lapua.

Have you looked at product reviews section at top.Specific 338 Norma,by Ward Brian?This relates to what you are doing totally

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.