338 lapua powder

tim goins

what is the "best" powder to begin using in a 338 lapua project, i will be starting with the 250 grain smk

Hi,Avengeusa!

I just happened to call Erkki Kauppi at Sako Finland this morning.
smile.gif

I was asking about their experiments with TRG-S and SMK 300s and he said that he was looking at a paper in a wall that said 300 meters / five shots. And somehow it also said SMK 300 grain.
smile.gif

The boys at the factory had been playing around with a standard TRG-S, there was one hole in that paper. No official testing. But I guess I can share this

He gave me the load without asking:

84.9 grains Vihtavuori N 165,velocity was 2630 fps. The pressure had been measured too, it was okay ,I forgot to write it down.Hmm..same with the primer brand...
rolleyes.gif

So I will try my loads with that powder for sure,he said that N 560 might be even better.

My TRG-S has a custom Sako brake,out of the box it shoots 1/2 MOA with Lapua Scenar 250 factory ammo. I got it a week ago,since then I have been shooting and surfing the Net to find the best bullets to try... no reloading yet, the dies that I had reserved had been accidentally sold. Haven´t even chronoed it yet.

Nice caliber,huh?
smile.gif
What brand is your rifle?

EDIT: This load is over the max in Vihtavuori data book. E. Kauppi or myself are in no way responsible for possible problems,the test rifle was like this but no brake.

My new toy (could not help):

Onthetable338.jpg
nullnull

[ 05-08-2003: Message edited by: Petander ]

I've used RL22 with the 250's and RL25, VV N165 and Retumbo with the 300's. I believe RL25 and Retumbo are about equivelant.

Try surplus 872....I'm useing a 33" tube with the 300MKs in a Mark 5 WBY and 250s in an AR30 with a 26" tube...Very good accuracy...I'm going to go to 4831sc with the 250s in the AR30 and expect a little more speed...
Honest Charlie

I'm using H1000 under the 300 grain matchkings with pretty good accuracy and velocity. I'm using a 338 lapua Timberwolf with a 26" barrel.

I just picked up some retumbo and I am going to try some loads with it and some REL 25. I'll post results.

I am also trying to collect as much loading that I can possibly find for the .338 Lapua.
(I have the VihtaVuori reloading book since the Lapua book won't be available until June.)

Does anyone have .338 lapua dies in stock? Currently I have a set of Forster Ultra-BR dies on order which should be in my hands in the next two weeks or so. (a few weeks wait) I am still on the lookout for a good neck sizing die, Forster doesn't list an application yet. A fellow recommended a Lee Collet die, $50 and another waiting period since it will be custom.

I have some 250g Lapua lockbase cartridges to start off with then it's going to be fed some 250gr Scenars... I haven't even shot the rifle yet since I am still waiting for my scope ring lapping bar. (Yet another AR-30 owner with the 26" barrel and a mini-howitzer muzzlebreak.) From looking at a powder burning rate chart I will try the VV N165 powder first. Then if space in the case still exists without compressinggoto the N170 as they both have slow burning characteristics.

Last friday I got the chance to shoot the 338 lapua out to 1550 yards which is my all time record distance.
grin.gif
Before this my farthest shot has been 1150 yards with a 308 win.

I had some tuned loads using H1000 and the accuracy was phynominal. 1200 yard groups was 2-3" center mass, 1550 group was 5-6".
There was a 8-10 mph wind that the 300 grain matchkings (@2735 fps) bucked like it was a 3 mph wind.

If you don't believe the results don't worry your not the only one, I about ****ed my pants when I saw them too, my friend had to pinch me to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

I am going to try to break the 1 Mile barrier soon. To say I am happy with the new rifle is an understatement, I look at it now as if it had magical powers.
wink.gif

Still haven't played with any other powder and I don't know if I need to either.

[ 05-22-2003: Message edited by: sr90 ]

yes, it was coming from 8 O'clock, it actually shifted between 7 and 8 O'clock off and on but when I was hitting steel at 1550 yards it was 8 o clock.

[ 05-22-2003: Message edited by: sr90 ]

Spent the day shooting with Tony Boyer a couple of weeks ago. He said he makes a living shooting in crosswinds, hates to even try in head and tail winds. So I came home and poured over my old log books, looking at data over many rifles and many conditions. Guess what?, seems the best groups at ultra long range came in a steady crosswind! Seems a lot of things pointing in the same direction lately.

Congrats on the fine shooting and thanks for the info.

S1

Here some additional shooting data of the conditions

Altitude 5500 ft above sea level
Temp 80 degrees

It took me approx 53 MOA to get to 1550 yards from 100 yards. I ran out of elevation at 48 moa and had to hold over about 1 1/2 Mil's.

I had about 6 MOA of wind deflection.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.