338 lapua on a 700

I don't know what the feelings are of some of the other guys on this forum, but its a questionalbe idea to chamber a 700 in 338 Lapua. That is why some of the custom actions have become so popular, they are designed to handle that cartridge.

That being said, the bolt face will have to be opened up to a diameter to accept the case head size, which will not leave very much of the bolt nose recess left. He will then have to install a Sako or M-16 style extractor. He will also have to make the counter bore in the barrel larger then normal, to allow room for the Sako extractor to pop over the case rim.

Hope that answers your question.

I would be curious to know what some of you other guys think about this?

Bettin Custom

The rem 700 chromoly action are plenty strong for the 338 Lapua , if it were marginal no lwayers would let big companies like rem make them. Granted their are actions better suited for that case but the 700 will work fine. Unless the custom action makers are using better steel and a few are ,their 1.350" action are just as strong as remingtons after it blueprinted.

Like Mr. Bettin said their will be significant work done to the bolt also the mag well so it'll feed from the magazine. The aditional work done to the Rem 700's bolt to make this work along with the standard blueprinting fee you would be better off going with an action that was desgined for this case.

George Gardner, Chris Matthews, Shawn Carlock, have and will build a 338 Laupa on a Rem700 action. I am sure thier are others that have and cane do this work. Jack Huntington has built 30-378 and 338-378 Weatherbies on the 700 Action... In the areas that copunt the 700 is as good for this conversion as a Mark V weatherby....

Check out this thread out, it's about a poster that has a Remington Factory made 338 Laupa;

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28918

Last edited:
what does my gun smith need to do so that my bolt head will fit a 338 lapua?

The chrome molly Remingtom 700 receiver is more than strong enough for the .338 Lapua, but it does take a lot of mods. to the bolt. The only way I offer a .338 Lapua in a Remington 700 action is with my complete blueprinting package which includes an oversized PTG bolt with an M16 style extractor. As stated above there are many custom action options that may be better in the long run.
FWIW,
308nate

308nate

The chrome molly Remingtom 700 receiver is more than strong enough for the .338 Lapua, but it does take a lot of mods. to the bolt. The only way I offer a .338 Lapua in a Remington 700 action is with my complete blueprinting package which includes an oversized PTG bolt with an M16 style extractor. As stated above there are many custom action options that may be better in the long run.
FWIW,
308nate

You've answered it perfectly.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.