338 Lapua Mag Loads

Lapmag

Hi from the UK. Wondering if any of you guys would like to share any reloading data on 338 Lapua.I am using an AI rifle with 27" barrel. I use 250grn. Lapua scenar bullets that are very accuate using Vit 170 powder and CCI magnum primers. Hopefully I will be able to get whatever you suggest as things are not that easy to get over here
I do have some H1000 about which I think will work okay and would like to try Retumbo- If I could find any!!!

Sorry I can't help you, but I have a Q for you. That's a detachable mag, no? What's the max COL allowed for that magazine?
I do like the looks.

Hi your quite right the AI uses a four round mag in 338. I currently load at a COL of 3.635" but you might just squeeze 3.640" out of it. Hope that helps. I am very happy with the gun I also have an AI in 308 and I am having one made in 22-250.

For 300SMK molycoated (vibratory, not tumbled)
use 92.0g H1000
215M match primers
seat against rifling. Doesn't fit the clip but is more accurate.
2780 fps from 26inch barrel.

Do you get acceptable accuracy from your AI? I have never seen one as accurate as the PGW timberwolf.
R.D.

Forgot to mention, I tested Retumbo vs H1000. It was not bad, with lower pressure signs than H1000, but the accuracy was not as good. Overall I've stuck with H1000.

The Timber wolf http://www.prairiegunworks.com/ is an expensive rifle wish I could afford one.
frown.gif

The H1000 might be a better bet for me at least I can get that in the UK. No one has Retumbo here at the moment. For your info I am using 96grains Vit 170 with CCI lr Mag primers and Lapua Scenar 250 grain bullet giving me 2830 in 27" barrell

Sorry on the accuracy question I find it very good. Typically 0.25" T 100yards. I should military battleground ranges here and normally guarantee first round hit up to 1200
I have never seen a Timberwolf across here so I couldnt really comment but looks good in literature

Lapmag,
It sounds like yours is working pretty well. The velocity seems a little low for a 250 grain, is that where you get the best accuracy? Yes, I definately think the H1000 is the best bet. Don't try too hard to find Retumbo.
Northern Sniper,
I was lucky to get a demo model (for a discount).
R.D.

RD
This is my 2nd AI338. The first one would handle 97.5 V170 and was giving me 2925 fps
When I got the new gun the chamber is tighter and I've had to back of the load due to tight extraction, hence looking for a powder with lower pressure.I have dropped down to 90grains with no significant loss in accuracy at my 100 yd test range.Could recommend trying my bullet if you havnt already

Can you give me you best reload Data for the TRG 338 lapua using both the 250 and 300g MK? I have been using Rl-22 and getting good results but would like to hear from all you shooters out there.

92.0 of H1000
300gr SMK or Berger Elite Hunting
Fed 215GM Primer
Lapua Brass

338 Laupa Rem 700 Tact.

gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts