338 Lapua Mag. in a Win.pre 64 ss action??

460wby

Hello.
I'm planning to build a fast .338 on a Winchester Mod.70 pre 64, Stainless steel 338 Win Mag., using a 26" Shilen selected match barrel.
And my question is:
Does the ss-action manage to take the .338 Lapua safely, because of the big diameter on the case??
I have almost desided to build a 338 RUM on it though, but are afraid i will regret when it comes to the velocity.
(Please, dont mind my english!)

I've heard of folks using the Win Mod 70 and also know that George Gardner uses Rem Mod 700's as a base for the 338 Lapua Mag.

I've had 2 338 Lapua Mag built, one on a Sako TRGS and one on an H-S Precision 2000LA. The Sako TRGS version used a 30" Hart 1x10 barrel and the H-S Precision used an H-S 28" barrel.

I currently have a Rem 700 custom in 338 RUM, using a 27.5 inch PacNor barrel.

As to velocities.

With the Sierra 250 GameKing the 3 rifles velocities are listed below:

Sako TRGS with Hart 30" barrel 338 Lapua
3240 fps

H-S Precision with 28" H-S barrel 338 Lapua
2900 +-

Rem 700 27.5 inch PacNor barrel 338 RUM
3000 fps (I loaded back to this velocity but have had velocities exceeding 3150 with a hot workup load)

I didn't shoot the 300 Sierra MatchKings from the two 338 Lapua rifles but have from the 338 RUM

Below velocities are from the 338 RUM with the 300 Sierra MatchKing.

Using RE25 2712 fps average, this is my current load.
Using RE22 over 2800 but the load was very hot, probably max load is 2750 fps.

Thank you, very much, for your information, Dave.
But what i really where pointing at, is that i dont know if the stainless steel in the Wichester action are strong enought to take the high pressures of the 338 Lapua??
Is the front ring on the action big enought to leave enought steel around the big cartridge??
And will it hold so i dont get bigger and bigger headspace during some houndred shoots??
I already have the Winchester rifle!!

I have heard discussions about this 'lack of steel' when building 338 Lapua on Remington actions. I would also assume this is a concern with other folks, like you.

The base size on the a new 338 RUM case is .545 and a once fired 338 Lapua .587.

I guess we'll need to wait for a gunsmith type to take up this question.

Also, you may want to ask over on www.benchrest.com

Primetime,
First off I'm not a gunsmith. But I can say that I've heard with my own ears from enough LR gunsmiths that they will not build a 338 Lapua on a Remington action that it's got to be right on the border line. Then when you consider the a Win M70 action has an even smaller tenon diameter than the Remington action I would have to say that it might be over the line.

For what it's worth.

Steve

That was worth a lot ,Steve. Thank's!
That was exactly the answer i was looking for, to stick with the 338 RUM plans.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts