338 Lapua...loads...info etc.

Mike,

To be honest, I'd have not considered the 'single stack' magazine option. Really hadn't thought about the magazine at all, other than the need to lengthen it depending on the donor rifle.

Would appreciate any input from those with more experience in this matter. Even those with 338 Lapua rifles other than Winchesters. (Which is probably the vast majority of rifles chambered in this cartridge.)

I look forward to hearing about your Weatherby in both .338 cartridges, especially the Lapua version. What length barrel are you planning on using, and are you going to use a muzzle brake?

Thanks Gents,

BrianW

Brian,

Wby comes with 26 inch plus brake. The barrel contour is the same in 30, 338, 378 and 416 at about .71" at the muzzle.

I will fire some shots from the factory 338/378 and then have a barrel of similar contour in 338 Lapau out on. Some testion then of the 338 Lapua and then rechamber to 338/378.

I will have the barrel threaded to take the brake that comes with the 338/378.

I am getting to the stage now where I wear ear muffs and plugs with anything that goes bang, soI may as well have the brake being used.

My feeling is however, that the 358/378 will be the best, although not in the context of this forum. Not a typo, 35 caliber on 378 case.

Mike

Brian,
are you using the 30-06 length action or the 375 H&H length for the Lapua? I haven't a '06 length M70 action on hand here to see what the OAL of the mag well is but a friend just bought a 375 length to build his 338-416 Rigby Imp on. It is a bit longer than the Lapua though.

Brent,

Still haven't bought the donor rifle yet. A 375H&H length action would be prefered, as there would be less machining involved.

That 338-416 rigby sounds interesting, do you have any details?

Thanks

BrianW

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.