338 Lapua in a Savage?

I'm told that Sierra uses that same action to test it and is stated in their new manual, I believe Kidcoltoutlaw was the one that called them and verified it too. They said they use 5 action for testing, switch barrel makes it a simple deal. The action is plenty strong. Someone was selling Savage barrels in 338 Lapua, might have been Sharp Shooters Supply? They do all Savage... You might call them, or Sierra and ask what they did for the appropriate size bolthead when using the 338 Lapua.

Let us know if you do.
smile.gif

The savage actions are tough as nails and are more than suitable for the 338 laupa. I just had Kevin Rayhill in Nebraska build me a 30-338 laupa with 35 degree sholder on a savage action with a 30 in tensioned barrel. it shoots great. Kevin with sell you a chambered bision barrel put on your gun with a accuracy gaurntee for around $269 with out a brake. His number is 1-308-432-5114. If you have any questions just e-mail me. Thanks Reed

Reed,
Is he making the barrels? Never heard of Bison barrels?

Does he make the matching dies for his 30-338 Lapua also?

i had a bison barrel on a 7stw it shot really well but fouled really bad-thatwas quite a few years ago so i dont know about quality know-my-2-dave

The bision barrels are made in Nebraska. If you look at the thousand yard shoots you will find a few bision barrels. I have 4 bision barrels and they all shoot great. I have never had a problem with any of them coppering. My 22-250ack 1-8 twist has 2000 rounds through it and still shoots great. Kevin has the reamer and can get you the dies. My gun with the 30 inch barrel is a screamer I can shoot the 150 hornady interbond with 101.0 IMR 7828 at 3865 FPS no bull. I shot a doe at 200 yards with it this year and took out the rib cage as a exit hole. This is the best killing cartidge I have used. Kevin also makes a 7mm of of the 338 laupa. The brass with the 7mm laupa is just harder to make. Speed kills thats why I made my 30 lapua, but it still shoots. Thanks Reed
smile.gif

Reed

Speed Kills. Yep. Gotta have accuracy and precision placement though. And watch those lighter bullets. You might get a bullet failure by trying to run up the speed too fast. Besides the lighter bullets just don't hold out as well as the heavier ones once you reach mid range(600 yards) and beyond.

Reed

Speed Kills. Yep. Gotta have accuracy and precision placement though. And watch those lighter bullets. You might get a bullet failure by trying to run up the speed too fast. Besides the lighter bullets just don't hold out as well as the heavier ones once you reach mid range(600 yards) and beyond.

The short answer is yes. The trick will be being able to modify the ejector to the safari style (fixed ejector). This has already been done for the Lazzeroni models. The larger "controlled feed" heads should be available.

You might be able to get parts from Midway or go direct. If you can find a Safari action, it should be already set up for the Rigby cartridge.

Jerry

I am shooting lighter bullets because they kick less. kill better, shoot flatter. The peneration of the 150 interbond is more than good enough for me. I was worried about the bullet holding up at those speeds, so I did a small test. I shot the 150 interbonds into 1.5 feet of dry newspaper I found two of them and they retained 75 percent of their weight. The third went through. When I shot my deer with the 30 laupa we compared the exit holes to 338-378 mags with 300 grain sierra's. The big 33's with 300's just make fist sized holes. One shot with 33-378 ran 120 yards with a good shot. The match bullets just don't open up enough. i also shot 7 wsm with 180 bergers and have terrible results hunting with the bergers. With deer they just bore holes through them, with most requiring a second shot. I believe that from 0-800 yards speed kills. Reed

I guess my Savage barrel question kind of derailed fmsnipers thread a wee bit. I would like to hear more guys thoughts on terminal velocity, so I'll start a new thread entitled that and comment there. Sorry fmsniper, back to the Savage Lapua topic.

this came from sierra bullets Contact Fred Moreo at Sharp Shooters Supply. You will need to get a new bolt face (they are interchangable) and barrel. Let Fred fill you in on the details. Sorry that I have not responded as quickly as I should. I have been on vacation. Took a nice 10 pt. Whitetail. Ph.# 419-695-3179

This is a buried subject that I did a search on and I'm going to lay down some facts since I'm going to attempt this project. I've had luck in the past doing research on firearms and attempting builds, so I'm diving in.

I have before me a new Savage Weather Warrior in 300 RUM and a Sako TRG-S M995 in .338 Lapua Mag. Beleive it or not, the ejection port and mag well is longer on the Savage than it is on the Sako. I may run up to our local gun swap and pick up a used long action Savage gun for a project. If all goes well, I'll have a decent LRH that I can put in my safe and never use. MUHAHAHAHAHA!
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.