338 Lapua improved with light bullets

James Jones

I have a friend coming by this eveing to drop off his new toy for bedding and load work , the gun is a Winchester M-70 with a 30" 1-12 twist 5 groove Pac-nor barrel , he wants to shoot the 160gr Tipped Tripple shock bullet as fast as he can accuratly ,he's thinkijg that he can get 4000fps ? I'm thinking that its gonna copperfoul like a water pipe.

Any of you guys shooting light weight bullets out of this big case?

I have a friend coming by this eveing to drop off his new toy for bedding and load work , the gun is a Winchester M-70 with a 30" 1-12 twist 5 groove Pac-nor barrel , he wants to shoot the 160gr Tipped Tripple shock bullet as fast as he can accuratly ,he's thinkijg that he can get 4000fps ? I'm thinking that its gonna copperfoul like a water pipe.

James,
I had a rough day at work, snow again and all. not much to smile about.
After reading your post I was giggling , cant even imagine why someone would even want to build a slow twist 338Lapua Imp. thanks for the thread, cant wait to see how it turns out !!!
UB

I think 4000 fps is optimistic i would guess 3600-3700 fps would be more realistic. Seems like a waste to shoot such a light weight bullet. The 200 g. and 225 g. nosler would scream out of that rifle and pay bigger dividends out past the 400 yard mark.

I said that the 200gr Ballistic tip would the the lighest I would even consider , and I highly doubt that I'd shoot anything lighter than the new 225gr Accubond.

Not to sure about the velocity , this same guy had a 30-338 lapua improved about 6 yrs ago and was able to get 3700fps with 168gr SMK's out of a 30" tube , with the bigger bore the 338 should be more effecient so i was thinking thatwe could get at least 3700fps. Not sure why some folks do anything like this but who knows , its his money

James,
I went through this with a customer a while back with a 338-378wby imp, he was using the 175grn barnes X bullets, sure they were fast, 3600fps, groups were decent. Long range was not good, and wind played havoc with the bullets past 500yds. I talked him into tring the 300smk, he hasnt looked back. He muttered somthing about being an idiot and all. I would think the 200nosler on up would be a much better choice.

I have a Sako TRG-S 338 LM with a factory 26" 1-10" twist barrel and tried the 200gr Nosler to see how fast I could spit them out and topped out around 3400fps.
Thought it would be a good deer load but never had the chance to try it out on a deer, did a number on a feral hog at 85yds though.
I would be interested in seeing how this works out if your friend decides to pursue this.
I personally think it's a waste of time and a barrel to shoot light bullets really fast but I am always ready to see things in a different light.

Wayne aka WAMBO

Worked up a few loads for this thing today since the weather was nice

Was able to get the 185gr Bares Tripple shocks to just under 3600fps (3590's) when the bolt started to just get snug and stopped , 4 loads tried non under 1.5 moa at 200yds

225gr Hornady SST were able to get to 3267fps with accuracy around 3/4 moa at 200yds

250gr Sierra Match Kings shot under 1/2 moa at 200yds with three differant loads , fastest average was 3042fps and no pressure.

Since this yo-yo went with the slow twist (1-12) barrel the 250's are the heaviest bullets I think that will shoot out of this pig , but with some more lad development I think it should do alot better accuracy wise , but those should do a number on any critter in the US out to 1000yds.

JJ, is there any way you could pop a few 300's out of that thing. it would be a great experiment. the reason i say that, is because i know of a couple of 1k shooters that are using a 11.5 twist with very good results. of course we don't know exactly what the twist is but we'll assume 12. please shoot some 300's out of that thing as an experiment to see if they'll stabilize. they just might!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.