338 Lapua Imp. by MCR

Kevin Cram

I finished this up about May and forgot to post some photos. My customer and I were at a rifle match this past weekend and the rifle has been shooting outstanding. Using 300g Bergers he's shooting 5 shot groups under 1/2" @ 300 yards. I'm hoping to get a photo of the group to ad to the rifle pics. The chamber is pretty much a 338 Lapua with a 40* shoulder and blown out a tiny bit. Here's the rest of the specs.

338 Lapua Imp.
Stiller TAC338 action
Brux barrel 1.250 straight for 30" / 1-9.3 twist / 6 straight flutes
Vais Muzzle Brake
Jewel Trigger
McMillan Tooley MBR stock
Pillar Bedded
Stiller 20 moa base
Nightforce rings
Nightforce 8-32 NXS

Hope you enjoy

KevinKing338LapuaImp1.jpg

KevinKing338LapuaImp3.jpg

KevinKing338LapuaImp8.jpg

KevinKing338LapuaImp7.jpg

KevinKing338LapuaImp6.jpg

When you pillar bedded the 1.250x30" barrel did you bed part of the barrel infront of the recoil lug or not???? Am interested to know if you think its beter to leave a heavy barrel free floating or some bedding compound under it??

I don't ever bed under the barrel. It oozes under while I'm bedding the action but I clean it back out afterward so the barrel floats cleanly back to the recoil lug. On a Remington action I'll hang up to 1.250" straight for 30" with no issues. Depending on the action thread tennon length you can hang a fairly long and heavy barrel from it. This action is the Stiller TAC 338. I'd have no problems hanging a barrel that was 1.250" dia and up to around 32" long. If it's too long or heavy your next best option is a barrel block. To me, leaving the bedding under the barrel is a lazy excuse to not clean it out. 99% of barrels will shoot at their best with a completely free floated barrel and stress free bedding.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.