338 lapua group

rgrjeep

I am using 92 grains of h1000 powder with lapua brass, federal large magnum primers and Nosler accubond 225grain bullets. My grouping are around 3" at 100yards. How do I know if I need to add powder or use less powder?
My barrel is 26".

Last edited:
22 grain bullets? wow the MV must be around 10,000FPS!

lol You might want to see what kind of groups you can get with factory ammo first. What rifle are you using?

Groups

I am using 92 grains of h1000 powder with lapua brass, federal large magnum primers and Nosler accubond 22grain bullets. My grouping are around 3" at 100yards. How do I know if I need to add powder or use less powder?

You need to give us more info. What kind of rifle, barrel, barrel length, what else you have tried...etc. It doesn't look like your rifle likes that load you are using!!! In fact that is so bad ,I suspect something else is affecting the groups. Make sure your scope and rings and base are tight. Check your action screws. Try some different bullets...I suggest the Sierra 300 g ...You should be able to get around 2650-2700 FPS. Working up a load is often like unlocking a mystery...You try this bullet and that powder until you get a response from the rifle. The rifle will tell you what it likes...Try Retumbo or Vihtavuori 170..stick with the SAAMI COL specs for now...you can play with COL later..stick with 3.600 for now. And watch out for pressure signs such as sticky bolt lift, etc. Loading manuals are your friends. You also need a decent Chrono to really work up the loads and later to do the exterior ballistic charts...It sounds like you might want to find someone local who has some proficiency in load development...good luck and keep us posted 30-338 Oh yeah and fix the typo re: bullet weight

All I can find around here is 225grain bullets and powder is limited. The C.O.L. is just over 3.6, Long as I could get it and still function in the magazine.

30-338 has given about as good an answer as possible with the supplied info. I will add, my HS Precision, .338 Lapua shoots far better with 250 gr ++ bullets, than with the 225 grainers. 3" @ 100 yards suggests problems other than the load.

Todd

jeeep there are people here who can help you- but you need to tell us about the rifle you're using- make & model, any customization...or if it's a custom build, all the particulars.

Kept the same load, just changed to a heavier bullet. now I am getting 1" at 300 yards. the bullet is a little slower than i wanted but the accuracy is great.

Jeep you gotta give us a break here.

First you're telling us you get a 3moa split at 100 yds, and you ask us for help but neglect to give us any basic info such as the rifle you're trying to use-

and now you want us to believe you're suddenly getting .3 MOA at 300 yds, just by changing the bulelt weight?

I call ********.

What do you mean not the speed you want? It dont work that way. The rifle doesnt care what you want. It'll tell you what "it" wants to kick ***.
Kind of like a woman.light bulb

Jeep you gotta give us a break here.

First you're telling us you get a 3moa split at 100 yds, and you ask us for help but neglect to give us any basic info such as the rifle you're trying to use-

and now you want us to believe you're suddenly getting .3 MOA at 300 yds, just by changing the bulelt weight?

I call ********.
bullshitflag.gif

If you are going to call Bull ****, then you need a flag.. I inserted one above for you...
thumb.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.