338 lapua factory ammo

chopit

I have a trg/s in 338 lapua with a 1 in 12 twist. I have only shot 40 rds of lapua 250 scenars. They shoot 1 moa. I want to take it on an elk hunt. What are some good factory ammo 250 or 225 gr? Berger has a 250 elite hunter. Nozler has some 250 and 225 accubonds. At 100-120 a box i want to find something that works quickly. I can reload but with only 2 months not sure if i have time to get a load worked up.

The only factory .338 Lapua ammo I've seen anyone shoot was PPU with the 250 grain Matchkings. It shot around half inch groups @ 100 from a buddy's Savage factory rifle. That and the S&B ammo with the same bullet are gonna be your most economical ammo. If you are worried about using a .338 Matchking on elk or deer, don't be. I've used the 300 grainers for years and another buddy has used the 250's for even longer, both had great success on deer and elk.
I don't know the quality of brass in those two manufacturers' ammo, I'm sure it's not "the good stuff".

Hornady has just come out with 270eld-x hunting loads. I've been running Hornady 285 eld's with very good results.

I am going try the new berger 250 elite hunter loaded by berger friday morning. I really want to try the hornady 270 eld x. I am worried about wasting 100 bucks cause my rifle is a 1 in 12 twist.

My 338 Rum is 1/10 I'm have great luck with the 285 Eld-m with a good dose of H-1000 . I havent takin any critters yet but season is very close .

It looks like the 250 might work for you but the 225 would be better .
285 to 300 gr. Is just to much .

The only factory .338 Lapua ammo I've seen anyone shoot was PPU with the 250 grain Matchkings. It shot around half inch groups @ 100 from a buddy's Savage factory rifle. That and the S&B ammo with the same bullet are gonna be your most economical ammo. If you are worried about using a .338 Matchking on elk or deer, don't be. I've used the 300 grainers for years and another buddy has used the 250's for even longer, both had great success on deer and elk.
I don't know the quality of brass in those two manufacturers' ammo, I'm sure it's not "the good stuff".

LOL!!
Funny how the Savage 338 LM does that!
The PPU brass isn't bad as far as toughness goes. It'll at least keep up with some of the others in the durability dept. Where it's lacking is in consistency. Weights are all over the place with it. At least that's been my experience .

Well the berger 250 elite hunters shot like crap, all over the place. I thought something has to be something wrong. So I shot 3 250 lapua scenars and just like always under an inch. I guess i am going to buy a die set.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.