338 lapua build

goblbustr

building a 338 Lapua and would like it to be mag fed. from what I am reading you cant feed 300 grain pills through a mag due to length. If this is the case how small do you have to go to be able to use a mag, 285gn., 250gn? would really like to use 300's but don't want to lose the case capacity by seating them deep enough to mag feed. any help?

Weight isn't the deciding factor. Ogive shape is. A round nose is not as long as a VLD.

Different magazines have different COAL maximums.

300gr pills feed from mags all day long. Just depends on which mag and which bullet.

A 338 Norma improved will equal performance of a 338 Lapua...just a short cased option.

That's true. Still is kind of silly. Let's fireform brass, get custom dies, so I can shoot the same fps as a standard cartridge. And if you compare with a lapua improved, your still losing.

For full disclosure, I run a 338 edge, so neither is my first pick.

I shoot a Lapua in my TRG 42 and just single feed the bullets since the mag is relatively short. I will most likely rebarrel in a 338 Lapua improved for single feed once again since it is a target gun. I think in a standard Lapua setup you won't notice much difference if you throat the barrel to run a dbm setup VS seating them long. For a bdl setup a Wyatt's 4" box could open up opportunities but also limits your action choices as well. You need dies anyway, and your company you choose to work with will be able to take care of the custom die route and some have dies on the shelf matched to their reamers already so it really isn't a big deal. There are ways to get exactly what you want, a small sacrifice may have to made here and there but I think your end results will still be satisfying.

Beg to Differ! My MPA 338BA cycles 300 Gr. ammo just fine.
But I like the single feed idea simply because it is so much stronger than
an action with the bottom cut out!

It depends on your action and how badly you want to feed from the mag. My 338 Edge is a Stiller action and the mag is BDL style hinged floorplate. I got the Wyatt's 4in box and used a Dremel (!!) to carefully extend the mag opening in the action backwards until the box fit. Then I modified the bolt stop to allow the bolt to come back further and pick up the rear of the round. It feeds just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.