338 LAPUA brass LAPUA vs. NORMA vs. NOSLER etc.

I am looking for some info on the quality of 338 Lapua brass from Lapua, Norma, Nosler and Hornady. I am getting ready for a new rifle build I am going to have done by APS Rifles and would like to know what brass would be comparable or close to the quality of 338 LAPUA brand brass. I have a chance to buy a couple boxes of 25 Nosler 338 Lapua brass but want to know if it is as good as the Lapua brass. Also, how does the Hornady and Norma 338 lapua brass rate compared to LAPUA brass? I am having the rifle done in the 375 Allen Express chambering so there will be the issue of sizing up the neck of a 338 lapua case and then fire forming to the improved desighn. I want brass that will be able to take the modifications and not fail. From what I hear Lapua is the best but how do the others compare?

That all depends on your loading regime, dies used and powder loaded. I've used Norma, Nosler (wich is Norma brass) and PPU and PPU is as good as the Nosler/Norma and it's cheaper.

Hornady had issues with their brass in the beginning (case seperation at the base) but I think Hornady resolved that. I know there was a recall some years back.

My favorite is Lapua brass but it's high buck.

Build your loads with PPU, it's cheaper and switch to Lapua fopr your hunting/target rounds.

In the 338 lapua thee ONLY brass worth the time is Lapua, buy quality once and enjoy top quality and life from the best avaliable.

There's a guy on here trying to sell new 338 lapua brass for $2:00 a piece. Not bad for the best brass money can buy.

There's a guy on here trying to sell new 338 lapua brass for $2:00 a piece. Not bad for the best brass money can buy.

Where do I find this guy? 50 LAPUA cases brand new for $100 sounds good to me. I haven't found any for that price brand new. The once fired Lapua brass on gunbroker is more than that.

In the 338 lapua thee ONLY brass worth the time is Lapua, buy quality once and enjoy top quality and life from the best avaliable.

Your comment reminds me opf the hunting boot thread....Not everyone is flush enough to buy just Lapua brass, especially for load workup when brass gets expendable. I agree for final loads, only Lapua but for workups, PPU is just fine.

If you're imposing too much wear and tear on Lapua .338 brass, then you're overdoing it pressure-wise or doing something else wrong. I wouldn't worry about using different brass for load work ups. Why take the chance that a change in brass will mess with a carefully prepared load? My time is worth more than that to me. Use the Lapua brass to work up loads and be done with it.

The .338 Lapua brass cost per shot fired will become neligible. Less than the powder per shot fired, or the bullets per shot fired. Only the primers will be less expensive on a per shot fired basis.

Your comment reminds me opf the hunting boot thread....Not everyone is flush enough to buy just Lapua brass, especially for load workup when brass gets expendable. I agree for final loads, only Lapua but for workups, PPU is just fine.

I'd rather own 20 pieces of Lapua brass than 100 lesser quality and since I'm one of those guys who can't afford to just drop the cash down I choose smaller quantities of high quality brass so I'm not compromising on my shooting. If load development is costing you brass you're doing it wrong!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.