338 lapua body die

john_m44

Does anyone have any experience with a reading body die for 338 lapua.
Im having to bump the shoulder back so far to size the base witch is causing poor brass life. I would like to try one but it would be a $50 experiment.

what dies are you currently using? load data? what rifle? you should not have to bump the shoulder too much at all..

The rifle is a custom. The problem is if I only bump the shoulder the norm .0015 to .002 after about three firings the body dia. gets to big and gets hard to chamber.

I have run many many rounds through the 338 LM using the redding body die for sizing cases and shoulder bump. I then sized the necks with the redding comp bushing die.

What brass are you using?

Jeff

so your just neck sizing then.. not using a bushing die or anything like that.. if your just neck sizing your going to have to either full length size after every 3-4 firings.. get a bushing die set.. or get the body die.. the body die worked for my 6.5x284 norma that was having the same prob.. I use bushing dies and the redding shell holder set now.. and have no problems bumping the shoulder and chambering..

I have run many many rounds through the 338 LM using the redding body die for sizing cases and shoulder bump. I then sized the necks with the redding comp bushing die.

What brass are you using?

Jeff

Lapua

I dont need to bump the shoulder more, just the base (1/4" above the web)

Im using Forester fl sizing die

Lapua

I dont need to bump the shoulder more, just the base (1/4" above the web)

I strongly recommend you get a Redding body die and a set of their stepped shell holders to control the shoulder set back. Then set the die up to contact and slightly cam over on the shell holder.

Jeff

Edit: PS, I sold my 338 LM with brass and some cases had 15 firings and was still going strong. yes I anneal.

on the money bronz as always.. I have 20 shots on my first 25 rounds of lapua.. I anneal every 3 firings.. best investment I have made.. and love the shellholder set from redding.. really helps brass life and with chambering problems.. thats your issue.. your brass is getting bigger after each firing.. the body die will cure that.. and really help in more accurate shoulder bump of your cases..

kasey

I have the stepped shell holders, I tried using them with the forester dies they didnt work as intended.
I anneal as well I bought BROZ old ken light

And some say Lapua brass is expensive..:rolleyes: I think if they ever actually used it they might see what a value it really is.

Jeff
I hear ya! After getting a taste of Lapua brass, i dont want to use anything else if i dont have to. If they only made 300 rum brass. lightbulb

Thats why im building a 284 win rather than a rsaum or wsm so i can use necked up Lapua 6.5x284 brass.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts