338 lapua barrel length?

Rifleman97

Thinking about getting a 338 lapua action/chassis and putting on a nice long barrel to make advantage of the slower burning powders for some high velocity. How long is too long? I have 8 pounds of US 869 (I know it's got some temp variance issues but the weather when I shoot is pretty consistent) and I was thinking about using it for the lapua. I'm thinking 32" barrel. Is that too long? Not long enough for the slow burner? At what point is there either no returns, or diminishing returns? Going to be running the long heavies.

haven't decided if the lapua will be SAAMI or if I'll do a wildcat version yet, but for now let's assume SAAMI chambering.

Yep I'd say 32"-34 is perfect.
I had one done for my brother that was an improved version and am able to launch 300gr lasers at 3100 nicely.
Wow, 300 grains at 3100? That's some incredible speed, even for the lapua imp.

It's pretty fast but a 34" barrel with a can and rl33. Also seems to be the cutting edge lasers are able to be pushed like hammers.
No sticky bolt primer issues or any type of pressure signs. And boy was I careful as it seems fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts