338 lapua barrel contour

Bounty hunter777

Hi ,
I am planning to build a hunting 338 lapua rifle and was wondering what is the lightest contour I can do ?
I saw a model 70 SS in 338 win mag and likes the light contour they made..Is it safe to have it done with 338 lapua?

I have an opinion based on information I have gathered from people that should know the facts. The contour of a Model 70 338 Win Mag barrel is not going to be suitable for a 338 Lapua.

Starting at the chamber end, you need a 1.125" diameter tenon thread for the Lapua. For that thread diameter, the diameter of the barrel needs to be a minimum of 1.300" on the chamber end. The diameter of the neck for a SS barrel, measured 6" from the bolt face, should be about .950". The muzzle diameter should be about .800" for a brake.

Hi ,
I am planning to build a hunting 338 lapua rifle and was wondering what is the lightest contour I can do ?
I saw a model 70 SS in 338 win mag and likes the light contour they made..Is it safe to have it done with 338 lapua?

You may want to look at a carbon fiber barrel. That's what I did with my 338 edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.