338 Lapua and imr4064

Djshunter33

I've got a lot of imr4064 powder laying around, and use it in my 300wsm and love it. I just got a 338 Lapua magnum and want to reload it as well. I've read articles on people using it on 300 smk bullets out of a 375 H&H, with decent results, so I figured why couldn't I use it out of my 338 lapua. My question is what grain of powder should I be using? And how much is too much? I will be using lapua brass with imr4064, federal 215 primers with 300 smk bullets. I plan on using the gun for 300-1000 yard hunting and shooting with friends around the house. Thanks.

You could probably use 4064, but it would not deliver the best results for your chosen caliber. Big calibers with large case capacity like slower burning powders such as RL 33; H 1000; Retumbo; etc.

Here is a link to a powder burn rate chart on Hodgdon's website:

Burn Rate

The powders are listed from fastest burning to slowest. You chosen powder (4064) is listed at number 95. Suggested powders are listed much higher...in the 136 to 142 range. These will give you the best results.

Will 4064 work? Yes.

Will you be happy with its performance? Probably not.

As others have said

do not suggest Med Burning powders for the 338 Lapua

H1000/retumbo/RL 33/MRP/RL22 work excellent

I would love to fine some RL 33 here in Alaska.........until then Retumbo!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.