.338 lapua and berger 300 hunting vld

Dlewis82nd

So I got the barrel broke in on my savage 110 fcp hs precision and a load worked up that I think will do just fine. I'm shooting the berger 300 grn hunting vld's .030 off the lands with 89.1 grns of retumbo. I'll let the pic speak for itself. This is a 4 shot 100 yds group. I have my 110 hs precision topped with a vortex viper pst 6-24 ffp.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-26-23-27-21.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-26-23-27-21.png
    424.2 KB · Views: 136
That looks like it will do. Can you share your oal to tip of bullet. I just finished up a decent load with my dads lrh 338. The bullets are at 3.83 I think with 90gr h1000. It shot 2 groups at 1.25" at 215 yards. Im debating on tweaking or calling it good.

I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back with you all. I honestly forgot all about it with deer season and everything going on, I remembered today when I went out to do some reloading. The oal is 3.818. I don't really measure by that I measure to the ogive and that measurement is 2.953. I hope this helps. I might tweak my powder charge a bit to see if I can get more velocity out of it and keep that group. I'm going out this weekend to try for 1000yds and really put this load to the test.

Shawnb & Dmyran79,
The Base to ojive and OAL measurements Dlewis82nd mentions are for HIS RIFLE ! These may cause an over pressure load in yours ! No two rifles even if they are from the same manufacturer. Please get an OAL tool and make a dummy round to the lands and go from there. And ALWAYS start at the lowest powder charge listed for your POWDER/BULLET/CARTRIDGE combination. Don't take this wrong please . We don't know your reloading experience . Just trying to prevent a possible bad experience. I have seen even a .01 grain change in a load cause issues. Please let us know if we can be of more help if you wish.
Take care!
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Shawnb & Dmyran79,
The Base to ojive and OAL measurements Dlewis82nd mentions are for HIS RIFLE ! These may cause an over pressure load in yours ! No two rifles even if they are from the same manufacturer. Please get an OAL tool and make a dummy round to the lands and go from there. And ALWAYS start at the lowest powder charge listed for your POWDER/BULLET/CARTRIDGE combination. Don't take this wrong please . We don't know your reloading experience . Just trying to prevent a possible bad experience. I have seen even a .01 grain change in a load cause issues. Please let us know if we can be of more help if you wish.
Take care!
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

I agree that is the exact same steps we took when we started with this gun.

Dlewis82nd,
Thanks ! Hope I didn't step on your toes any sir! Overpressure .338 LAPUAS can make a big boom. On both ends!! lol !
Phil

No you didn't offend me at all. I am actually very new to the reloading game but I am reloading with a very experienced guy. I don't do anything without him watching and asking his input.

Dlewis82nd,
Cool ! Glad you have found a mentor. They make life SOOOOOO.... much easier. They made all the mistakes first ! lol !
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Shawnb & Dmyran79,
Take care!
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Yep, no worries. :) I've got a OAL tool and always start out lower. I appreciate your input and looking out for others. You never know how much someone knows about reloading. I was just wondering more for curiosity sake where his load was at as I've had some difficulty getting my 300 gr. Bergers to shoot well so far. I haven't tried really hard yet to get a good load with them because the 300gr. SMK shoot extremely well in my rifle but I need a hunting load and don't want to use the Sierra for hunting.

As soon as I get some time off here I'm going to use the Berger recommended method to getting the VLD "sweet spot" found for the 300 grainers. I used that process on my 7mm Rem Mag with some 168 VLD Hunters and found that .090" off the lands worked pretty good. And also let them just barely squeeze in the box magazine.:D

Again thanks for the input and responses

The way mine are loaded I can only get one in the mag. It killed one doe at 107 yards this year. She was shot quartering to us. The bullet was found and it weighed 77.8 grains after expansion! As you can imagine it dis devastating internal damage. Another was shot at 450 yards and it was shot right behind the shoulder on a broadside shot and just poked a hole right through. It was a small deer and no bones were touched so I can not complain on the performance there. I love the way the berger 300 grain elite Hunters shoot out of mine. I'm sure with just a little bit of work you will too.

dmyran79,
You are welcome sir ! If you need any more help please let us know.
Dlewis82nd,
Glad our bullets are doing the job for you !
Thanks guys for using our bullets!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.