338 Lapua AI shooting paper plates from 2350

BMcKell:

Please clarify...

In your original post you state, "...I tried a couple shots at paper plates from 2350. ...Posted is a three shot group using 300 gr SMK's and reloader 33 that I shot laying prone before trying the plates."

The target with presumably the threeshot group - at what distance did you shoot that group? [BTW, under magnification, to me it looks like two shots, not three. If three, one shot would have had to have gone directly thru the center of one of the prior shots - note where the two shots overlap. Or only two of the three shots are visible in the photo. Those are my observations from the photo provided.]

It is impossible for me to tell the size of the two white objects, or what they are, in the video. Are those the "paper plates"? If so, their diameter, please.

While I note the audio "hit", did you retrieve the plate to confirm? Again, for me. impossible to confirm from the video. Pic please.

Both white targets appear quite reflective. Coated? I too have a Terrapin and would find it quite difficult to hold it well enough on such a small object to range it. Were they coated or was the ranging done using a nearby object?

Finally, what was used to take the video?

Thanks!

What I took from the post was that the three shot group was fired at 100 yards and then he moved to the long range shooting and put two shots down range.

Also, assume he just ranged the rock formation the targets were sitting on for his range measurement.

Does the Terrapin not have a tripod mount? Mounting a rangefinder on a tripod greatly increases its accuracy on small targets. I am with you, freehand, I could never hold on that small of a target but off a supported position I would think it would be pretty easy to hold on the rock formation the targets are sitting on.

Do not want to speak for the OP but this is just what I took from the post personally.

good shooting! I assume no wind (dialed for spin drift and coriolis)? That would be one bugger of a wind dope if there was even a light breeze at that distance!

BMcKell:

Please clarify...

In your original post you state, "...I tried a couple shots at paper plates from 2350. ...Posted is a three shot group using 300 gr SMK's and reloader 33 that I shot laying prone before trying the plates."

The target with presumably the threeshot group - at what distance did you shoot that group? [BTW, under magnification, to me it looks like two shots, not three. If three, one shot would have had to have gone directly thru the center of one of the prior shots - note where the two shots overlap. Or only two of the three shots are visible in the photo. Those are my observations from the photo provided.]

It is impossible for me to tell the size of the two white objects, or what they are, in the video. Are those the "paper plates"? If so, their diameter, please.

While I note the audio "hit", did you retrieve the plate to confirm? Again, for me. impossible to confirm from the video. Pic please.

Both white targets appear quite reflective. Coated? I too have a Terrapin and would find it quite difficult to hold it well enough on such a small object to range it. Were they coated or was the ranging done using a nearby object?

Finally, what was used to take the video?

Thanks!
It feels a little bit like I'm on trial here, but here goes. I shot a three shot group from 100 yards and chronographed and zeroed my rifle. It was indeed a three shot group. Then I fired two shots at cheap 9 inch paper plates with nothing shiney applied to them that were placed on those rocks a previous day. There was no wind and I was dialed 3.5 moa left for spin drift and coriolis but then a slight breeze came from my right and I took one moa out of it for that. I believe I was dialed up 80 moa. I ranged them with a terrapin that I laid over my range bag to steady it. It was video taped by my 15 year old son using a panasonic camcorder that has 78 times optical zoom +300 × digital. I believe it was at about 180x zoom for the video. My boy called hit when he saw the plate flip up. I did not hike up there to check the damage. It's too far and I'm too old. There was no funny business in the making of this video. What you see is actually what happened and nothing else.

I took a picture today through my Leica APO Televid 77. There is black tape holding the plate to the rock and there appears to be a hole in the bottom left of the upper plate when I zoom in. If I get ambitious I will hike up and see.

Attachments

• 20130902_174118.jpg
    20130902_174118.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 17
BMcKell,

I shoot a 338 AX (lap imp) and just got in a few pounds of RL 33 and had settled, not having read this thread, at 105g as well. I am going to drop down from there as this is too hot for this barrel. Something weird happned to this barrel since I shot it last spring and loads that were fine last spring show too much pressure now. The chrono was showing me an ave mv. of just about 2996 with this load, but this barrel seems to have suddenly lost speed while showing increased pressure. What kind of pressure signs are you seeing at 105?

Also, have you done any testing with temp sensitivity with RL 33 yet? There a discussion going on about RL33 in Lap Imps over on longrangeonly.com that might interest you.

I'm at 106 in my limp. My velocities aren't up where the OP's are with 105. I haven't seen pressure but figure I'm close. My improved is about as short necked as you dare take it, so probably a bit more room.

I am really impressed with RL 33 so far... I cronies my 106/300 otm load one evening at 2981 with an ES of 3, it was 85 degrees. Sat morning I cronied it at 2981 and the ES was 1, it was 54 degrees. Sunday morning I took my cousin out to shoot it at rocks. We started at 1,826 and ended at 2606 yards. The drops matched good using a .433 g7@ 2990. The temp was 44-47 while we were there. As far as precision goes..... I don't recall ever being more impressed.

Tom

I'm at 106 in my limp. My velocities aren't up where the OP's are with 105. I haven't seen pressure but figure I'm close. My improved is about as short necked as you dare take it, so probably a bit more room.

I am really impressed with RL 33 so far... I cronies my 106/300 otm load one evening at 2981 with an ES of 3, it was 85 degrees. Sat morning I cronied it at 2981 and the ES was 1, it was 54 degrees. Sunday morning I took my cousin out to shoot it at rocks. We started at 1,826 and ended at 2606 yards. The drops matched good using a .433 g7@ 2990. The temp was 44-47 while we were there. As far as precision goes..... I don't recall ever being more impressed.

Tom

Well, that's some good info! Thanks. I really hope it is the powder for me too. Seems like some guys might be getting a bit more fps out of VVN570. There's a post here somewhere by JeffVN to that effect.

BMcKell,

I shoot a 338 AX (lap imp) and just got in a few pounds of RL 33 and had settled, not having read this thread, at 105g as well. I am going to drop down from there as this is too hot for this barrel. Something weird happned to this barrel since I shot it last spring and loads that were fine last spring show too much pressure now. The chrono was showing me an ave mv. of just about 2996 with this load, but this barrel seems to have suddenly lost speed while showing increased pressure. What kind of pressure signs are you seeing at 105?

Also, have you done any testing with temp sensitivity with RL 33 yet? There a discussion going on about RL33 in Lap Imps over on longrangeonly.com that might interest you.

I was getting great accuracy and velocity with the 33 but too much mv variation from day to day temp changes. I would work up a load in 70's weather with very little resistance in the bolt lift and shoot it another day in high 80's weather and im blowing primers. That was my experience with it. Results may vary with other setups but I have since switched to retumbo. I will keep watching to see what results other people have. I would have done more testing with it but the huntswere getting too close and I didn't have time to screw around. I went with 98 grains retumbo and got 3000 fps. I got a friend set up with my rifle to kill a great 6x6 bull saturday morning from 1046 yards. I will test more when the hunts are over. I just needed a good safe load and quick.

BMcKell,

Sounds to me like carbon in the throat. That always seems to drive up pressures. Was there a big temperature change? Really big loads of slow burning powder can build carbon very quickly in the throat. Usually pressure increases and accuracy can suffer. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.