338 Lapua Ackley Improved Load Help

Back when I shot a 338 lapua improved 40* I ran rl33 I was running 105 grains with a 300 smk around 3000fps. I did shoot retumbo at 100 grains with the 300 smk. You can also run 98 grains of h1000. The rl33 gave me the best velocity and accuracy. It also seemed much easier on the brass.

Thanks, 100gr R33 gave me 2780fps in mine. Curious about your Retumbo results as they are similar to mine. 97.5gr Retumbo gave me very good accuracy at 2930fps.

How often did you anneal?

Nice SS,

I could go out the same COL, However it will be single shots, staying within Mag length (3.85") for hunting.

Mine COL 3.756"

Don't get me wrong guys, I have other weapons that I use out to 1000m for hunting, my favorite is my 6.5x284 which is away getting a new shilens barrel, that I have taken deer out too 900m with, or my children's 243AI, Where my 10yr old (at the time) daughter shot her first deer with at 475m, and so on.

For me, I am looking at the 1100m 1600m range. I have done, shot a lot of gongs/ rock, paper targets at these rangers on the range and in the field with 338LM. Taking animals I have found below 800m over here is a waste of time with the 338LM, the terminal effects waste meat. I have used the SMK'S, Berger's, hence wanting info on the ELD-M's and the Ackley Improved 338LM.

Ray (SS),

HBN, How's that going?
It hasn't really taken off over here, most I know off still use moly, a couple use HBN.

How many shots before cleaning?
Degree of cleaning?
Effect on barrel?
Wet weather effects?

Ray (SS),

HBN, How's that going?
It hasn't really taken off over here, most I know off still use moly, a couple use HBN.

How many shots before cleaning?
Degree of cleaning?
Effect on barrel?
Wet weather effects?

HBN works well for it's intended purpose. Low ES and much easier to clean.
I have had no problems with HBN that I can think of.

Ray

Hey there I know this is an old thread but I thought I would share my experience. I ma shooting a .338 Lapua Ackley Improved with a 28" 1:9 twist carbonsix barrel on a lone peak razor 338 titanium in a mcmillan game warden. I use reloader 33. I have excellent results with 107 grains and a federal 215gm primer in precision brass. I get 2950 fps with this charge using a 300 grain sierra match king, and 2960 fps using a 285 ELDM. Both are extremely accurate well under 3/8 MOA. I seat the SMK .005 off lands and seat the ELDM .025 off the lands. I got to 3020 fps with reloader 26 when I saw pressure but I use that powder in multiple other cartridges so I use it sparingly and stick with reloader33 in my Lapua improved.
Reguards, Gilbert

Gilly509, I'm having an amazingly close build to yours going now, do you mind if we chat over the phone? PM sent

I'm using Berger Elite Hunter with 106.5gr of RL33 and Fed 215M in Lapua brass. 27"Benchmark Corbon. Shoots 0.3 MOA or better at 2990fps! Built it for long Range Elk with ATACR 5x25. 9#14oz recoil with side port break is very tolerable. Took 2 bulls with it this year!

Since my last visit here I've re-barreled to the standard 338 LM Akley Improved (40* shoulder). It's a Bartlien 1:9.5 to 1:8 32" F-class/1000 yd. heavy. I shoot only monos and its chambered for seating out the Warner Flatline 256 GN. The barrel and bullets are hBN treated; used it since it became available. Using RL26--107 GN--Petersen Brass, Federal GM215M, and offset .012 from the lands I'm chronographing (Magneto
speed) 3405 on average with and ES of two. Using 103 GN and 285 Flatlines its averaged 3174. So far I've four loadings on the brass and there's 226 rounds down the barrel that now shows .125" of firecracking at the brass/rifling junction. The rifle is never fired at temps over 70* (there isn't much of that here) and most shooting is at 20-60*. Some well below zero. My next shooting will be testing Badlands 270 GN SuperDozers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.