338 Lapua 3267fps 265

Thekid76

Has anyone else gotten this type of velocity from a straight Lapua? I am sitting with 92 grains of R-25 and RG Henson's 265 bullet leaving the muzzle at 3267 with a standered deviation of only 4.3! again the books say that this is impossible and I only have a 29 inch Schneider p5 on the rifle. It shoots good but, not great yet, into the .6 and .5 but nothing spectacular. i have only had 20 pieces of brass to work with so load development and accuracy are slow in coming. I will get the gun to shoot better once the 100 pieces of Lapua brass gets here. I have a 6.5 that does the same thing and it also has Gary's barrel on it but it is only 23 inches long. I can push 107 smk's at 3600 fps with no trouble. Any of you guru types out there have any info on the P% being so much faster than other barrels?
Last thing, I have always had trouble getting great accuracy out of long for caliber bullets, like 140 vlds for the 6.5 and the 300smk for this rifle. I have a 1/8 for the 6.5 and a 1/9 for the Lapua, but always the lighter bullets shoot better, is it just that the heavy for caliber bullets are in the bore longer and I am screwing things up just prior to exit or is there something else that I am missing? I can shoot lights out with 225s in the Lapua and the 107s shoot to .3 without me trying anything fancy. I would love to know if there was a trick to this, because I have had the same issues with heavy bullets in the 223 AR's I can get 3100 out of 69 and 70 grain bullets but the accuracy is just crap. not only that but no gun i have will shoot Nosler Custom compatition bullets.

any thoughts.

Marc
/Users/peggy/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Roll 32/DSCN0754.JPG

for what ever reason I cannot get photos into this, and no i have not read the instructions.

for pictures, put your link between these [ img ]linkhere[ /img ] you will have to remove the spaces between the brackets and the img.

Just email RG Henson at [email protected] and he will be glad to help you with what ever you need. they are incredable in there BC I have to use the .913 to get them close to the corect trajectory.

i have not hit the right accurecy node yet but they still shoot MOA or better.
just not one holing them, but I am shure that they will.

Marc

f:\guns\DSCNO755

C
Has anyone else gotten this type of velocity from a straight Lapua? I am sitting with 92 grains of R-25 and RG Henson's 265 bullet leaving the muzzle at 3267 with a standered deviation of only 4.3! again the books say that this is impossible and I only have a 29 inch Schneider p5 on the rifle. It shoots good but, not great yet, into the .6 and .5 but nothing spectacular. i have only had 20 pieces of brass to work with so load development and accuracy are slow in coming. I will get the gun to shoot better once the 100 pieces of Lapua brass gets here. I have a 6.5 that does the same thing and it also has Gary's barrel on it but it is only 23 inches long. I can push 107 smk's at 3600 fps with no trouble. Any of you guru types out there have any info on the P% being so much faster than other barrels?
Last thing, I have always had trouble getting great accuracy out of long for caliber bullets, like 140 vlds for the 6.5 and the 300smk for this rifle. I have a 1/8 for the 6.5 and a 1/9 for the Lapua, but always the lighter bullets shoot better, is it just that the heavy for caliber bullets are in the bore longer and I am screwing things up just prior to exit or is there something else that I am missing? I can shoot lights out with 225s in the Lapua and the 107s shoot to .3 without me trying anything fancy. I would love to know if there was a trick to this, because I have had the same issues with heavy bullets in the 223 AR's I can get 3100 out of 69 and 70 grain bullets but the accuracy is just crap. not only that but no gun i have will shoot Nosler Custom compatition bullets.

any thoughts.

Marc
/Users/peggy/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Roll 32/DSCN0754.JPG

for what ever reason I cannot get photos into this, and no i have not read the instructions.
Can I ask where you got your bullets . I'm looking for the nosler 265 grain accubond long range bullets for the 338. I can't find them anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.