338 Lapua 285 Barnes LRX

rharfo

Barnes load data for the 338 Lapua Mag using 285 gr LRX max load is 5 grains under Hornady 285 max load. Is it due to bullet construction? Would like to push this bullet hard. Can't find any ELDX to shoot so I'm loading the Barnes.

I switched to the softer copper alloys used in Hammer and Cutting Edge Bullets as they don't build pressure as fast and usually have higher velocity all else being equal. The Barnes are a 100% retention bullet where as on the Hammer and CEB's the front petals break off and radiate out as shrapnel damaging internal organs while the base, now shaped like a wad cutter, passes thru penetrating and exiting with 60-70% weight retention. It is uncommon to recover the bullet shank and often petals are found in the offside hide.
I run the 275 Lazer at 3,020fps in my 338 Edge with N570 and a 28" barrel

There are plenty of hunter bullets in 30 cal that work in a 10T barrel. Or did I misunderstand something. Youdont need as heavy a bullet with copper as opposed to cup core bullets. When I went to copper, I use 100 gr in 7mm, 80 gr in 24 and 25 cal. Always full penetration and dead game. Ill never hunt with another cup core bullet except for varmints.

Last edited:
There are hunters available in 338 for 10T. I just checked. I use the 175 in mine and its amazing. Sorry, I was thinking 30 cal for some reason.

This is for a friend that is wanting heavy for caliber with high BC, he won't understand if I go low weight. Pain in my ***.
He wanted 270 eldx but there pixie dust. So he got Barnes LRX 280

Not cheap but Cutting Edge is a very high quality bullet company: