338 imperial magnum

Mainmechanic

Hello everyone. New to the forum. Have a question . Does anybody have any info on making 338 imperial magnum brass ?

New forum for me as I stated .Sorry for not doing a better search first. Did find several discussions. With that being said any more info is always good

Did you make that brass ? I read a couple of options for doing that. How did you like the cartridge ?

It's their brass. I bought it with some other stuff at a auction. It's made from 404 Jeffrey brass I believe.

Hello everyone. New to the forum. Have a question . Does anybody have any info on making 338 imperial magnum brass ?

I have a 360 Imperial magnum and making brass for the 338 Imperial magnum is the same, Buy some 300 or 375 RUM brass, run it through your full length sizing die, I had to trim about .020 off for my 360, Load and shoot

Thanks. Wonder if that gets trimmed to 2.850 like the two you mmentioned . Easy enough to figure out I guess. Must be somewhere between a 338 rum and a 338 edge .

Thanks. Wonder if that gets trimmed to 2.850 like the two you mmentioned . Easy enough to figure out I guess. Must be somewhere between a 338 rum and a 338 edge .

Maximum length is 2.830 and 2.820 trim to length. I would recommend trimming to the maximum length as my cases shortened .010 on the first firing.

Thanks for the help all. If anybody else has anything to add as far as starting loads and such will be watching .Good shooting to all.

Also I should mention I was told by Abrey White ( the fellow who owned the Imperial Mangum corporation) that the original Imperial Magnum brass is of poor quality and the case heads are very soft and He recommended using Ultra mag. brass because the case heads are harder. With the Imperial mag. brass They only last one firing because they are soft. The poor quality brass is what made the company go belly up.

Thanks. That's the kind of info I was hoping for. Great people on here all the time ..sounds to me this chambering is basically a 338 edge then. Couldn't pass up the deal on the rifle .I already have the 338s covered may become a 416. Wanted a good consensus to make a ddecision. Thanks to all who helped again.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.