338 for elk hunting- Build a lightweight rifle

Nellej12

I currently have a 338 lapua, it comes in at 14.4 lbs. Im looking at building a light weight 338 lapua or Improved shooting 300gn bergers. I elk hunt with my current rifle but would like to drop a few pounds with all the hiking we do. Just returned from WY and hiked 32 miles in 5 days. Our group went 5 for 5 on cows.

Anyone have experience with a light weight rifle in these calibers?
Would you go improved or standard 338 lapua?

Attachments

• 20201201_151832.jpg
    20201201_151832.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 820
Lightweight and big recoil usually don't go well together. I personally wouldn't want a 338 Lapua in a rifle any less than 11-12lbs. I have shot one that was about 15lbs with a big brake and it was manageable but I couldn't imagine something much lighter than that. Not really the recoil punishing you, but trying to see your hits and controlling it for precision shots.

If you want to lose weight, you could go to a carbon barrel from proof/Christensen. That'll drop a pound or two at least. I would never personally go any lighter than 12 or so pounds on a 338 lapua. Even though I can take the recoil, I'd develop a flinch and wouldn't be able to shoot accurately.

Lightweight and big recoil usually don't go well together. I personally wouldn't want a 338 Lapua in a rifle any less than 11-12lbs. I have shot one that was about 15lbs with a big brake and it was manageable but I couldn't imagine something much lighter than that. Not really the recoil punishing you, but trying to see your hits and controlling it for precision shots.
I'd be happy with 11lbs. I shoot suppressed.

I have a Christensen arms tfm in 338 Lapua it weighs about 7.5 pounds bare all carbon fiber and adjustable stock. I could probably be talked out of it because I'm wanting a Thor 4 thermal scope
Haven't heard of their TFM, just looked it up and it looks pretty sweet. How bad is the recoil on such a light lapua?

I just got a hells canyon armory 338 Norma mag throated for 300 grain pills. Plan on shooting the 250s for now. I'm thinking it'll be about 10.5lbs scoped. I haven't weighed it yet but plan on throwing the scope on tonight and I'll give ya a weight and hopefully go shoot it for the first time Wednesday. I'm not set on keeping it yet though as I've never been a 338 guy. Might end up posting it for sale or even trade on a shorter barreled .30 cal or even 7mm

I have a .338 Lappua improve weighting in just over 9Lb loaded ready to hunt. I took an elk this year with it I don't feel recoil is bad on it with a ti5port MBM beast break but out at distance it's hard to hold good gropes unless you really pay attention to how your holding it.just no forgiveness like the heavy at longer range.

I have a .338 Lappua improve weighting in just over 9Lb loaded ready to hunt. I took an elk this year with it I don't feel recoil is bad on it with a ti5port MBM beast break but out at distance it's hard to hold good gropes unless you really pay attention to how your holding it.just no forgiveness like the heavy at longer range.
I need to hold onto my 14lb rifle now to see where I'm hitting on longer shots.

Well not a Papua but it's a 338 Edge ,300 gr. bergers , 30" proof ,T-3 terminator in a McMillan Game hunter Edge , Remington stainless action , 20 moa rail , heavy 34"" rings , Burris XTR ii 5 x 25 x50 .
All in its 10.6 pounds . I have a another 338 Edge at 14.6 pound and my heavy one is 19.4 pounds . It's been out to 3027 yards so far .
I'm building another 338 Edge but 27" barrel and a lighter Scope .
Last years Elk at 1244 yards .

Rum Man

Attachments

• 20191031_113222.jpg
    20191031_113222.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 498