338 Excalibur brass group buy-Interest Thread

I just measured some of my Jamison brass. At the base it measures .580. The shoulder is roughly .568. That is only about .012 of total taper. Now with your new designed case with more taper, change shoulder diameter to .558-.560". If your planning on running 300gr bullets and no mag box, the OAL will be around 4.1-4.2" with the 300gr Berger with the neck full of bullet and none in the shoulder/body junction.

I think I will have a reamer made to seat the 300 bergers at about 3.920" and I have a uni-throater that could change it to whatever we would need for single shot actions.

Sling

I'd appreciate if your "contributions" to this thread were limited to stated interest in the brass group buy.

There are any number of reasons why you had the problems you did. They all will point to you, and it may be painful to read, but nonetheless....I'm going to post them, as you felt it compelling to perform your version of public information service regarding your experience with the 338 Excalibur.

Please don't post your answers here, send them in a PM or an email. These are here to ensure others see that your personal experience may not be representative of others (mine included) with the 338 Excalibur.

Do you anneal your brass? Do you have the proper expertise/equipment/ and personal discipline to do this procedure properly? If you did, after how many firings did you feel it necessary to anneal?

The reason I point out the above....is if this isn't done properly, you will not restore the elastic properties of the brass in the shoulder/neck region. Therefore when you FL resize, you will not restore the brass to a proper "sized" dimension. Additionally, the shoulder diameter is not going to "snap back" after contacting the chamber wall post igintion like it would if the elastic properties of the shoulder are restored during proper case annealing.

Sling-Who made your dies? What were the resized dimension specifications? How did he resize his cases? (FL? NK only? NK only with a shoulder bump? How much of a shoulder bump?) This is a large magnum caliber....standard resizing dimension specifications will NOT work. Attempting to run a tight neck chamber for example...will NOT work. Attempting to partial size the case between firings will NOT work.

Sling-You have never even owned a 338 LMAI or any other variant. You have no experience to compare. Why would you post what you did? What is it you know for 100% certain about a comparison between the cartridges....when you have zero practical experience shooting to the two?

You never stated how many rounds you shot with your 338 Excalibur?

So I hope the Derail of this thread is over. PM me direct for my cell phone, and you'll see I'm an honest straight shooter, that's open to others opinions....but I'm not going to allow BS to be posted in this thread to scare folks off a great cartridge.

Given a fixed barrel length...and a standard throat....and the goal of obtaining 7+ firings off your cases....there is no cartridge that is going to sling 300 gr .338 caliber bullets faster on a .580 bolt face. Period.

When you push to the limits....and right to the fringe of a given field....there's going to be opinions.

Keep the interest in thread going guys.

First off I know exactly how to anneal brass properly. I can`t say much on this site as I`m not a paid sponsor. I have over 25yrs experience loading benchrest quality loads. I`ve shot IBS 600yd and currently F-TR 1000yd. It doesn`t matter who made my dies but the dies wasn`t the problem. Also, I build my own rifles. Have so for over a decade. There is another cartridge with the same bolt face as the Ex that exceeds it. I never said that I owned a 338 Lapua Ackley Imp. My close friend (1000yd benchrest shooter) has one that we played with. Thats why I stated that. I told the truth with the experience I had. I went back in my log book and I shot my EX over 900 times. Kirby Allen (Fiftydriver) on this site has had the same experience I had so thats why he added taper to his Raptor cartridge. I didn`t mean any harm. I`m done with this thread. Have a nice day.

To autorotate: so, I am curious as to how much money you are making from the group buy? Not that its a crime, I am just curious (if anything at all). It just seems as everytime you post on this forum you are selling something. I am in the market for a large 338 but would have to know the price first as with 99.9% of my purchases. Maybe ask the supplier to throw us a number. Maybe a percentage per thousand? Thanks

Since this post is talking about the 338 Excalibur which doesn't happen often I would like to show you guys probably one of the only 338 Excalibur test barrels. I bought this straight from A-Square ammunition when they had their closing auction.

Attachments

• IMG_20140225_180711418.jpg
    IMG_20140225_180711418.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20140225_180719004.jpg
    IMG_20140225_180719004.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 70
To autorotate: so, I am curious as to how much money you are making from the group buy?

I am curious if you have read the first post in this thread....

None. I simply posted a thread about the potential interest in a group buy for a rare cartridge.

It just seems as everytime you post on this forum you are selling something.

What? 34 posts? Who are you?

This is the 30-338 Lapua that I designed along with JE Custom.

Here's is my 338 Excalibur.

Here's my 338 LMAI.

Here's a 338 Lapua SAAMI build sheet.

All of those threads are selfless attempts at publishing templates for rifle builds for others on this forum, in order to shorten the chase for them obtaining thier LR/ELR goals like I have.

I'm at the point where these forums don't improve my LR/ELR shooting capabilities like they once did, so my primary use for them is the classifieds. That wasn't always the case. I'm very much appreciative of the help/knowledge I did/do still glean, but I must say the quality of the membership and knowledge base has gone waaay down from what it once was.

Folks need to get more trigger/reloading bench time, and less keyboard/mouse time.

If you'd like, PM and we'll exchange cell phone numbers, and I can see if I can help you get to your LR/ELR goals.

Good shooting gun)

I am curious if you have read the first post in this thread....

None. I simply posted a thread about the potential interest in a group buy for a rare cartridge.

What? 34 posts? Who are you?

This is the 30-338 Lapua that I designed along with JE Custom.

Here's is my 338 Excalibur.

Here's my 338 LMAI.

Here's a 338 Lapua SAAMI build sheet.

All of those threads are selfless attempts at publishing templates for rifle builds for others on this forum, in order to shorten the chase for them obtaining thier LR/ELR goals like I have.

I'm at the point where these forums don't improve my LR/ELR shooting capabilities like they once did, so my primary use for them is the classifieds. That wasn't always the case. I'm very much appreciative of the help/knowledge I did/do still glean, but I must say the quality of the membership and knowledge base has gone waaay down from what it once was.

Folks need to get more trigger/reloading bench time, and less keyboard/mouse time.

If you'd like, PM and we'll exchange cell phone numbers, and I can see if I can help you get to your LR/ELR goals.

Good shooting gun)

But I did pm you on 2-20-14 at 12:04am. If knowledge is what you are after, you are in the right place. Might as well call this place longrangehuntingschool.com. I can assure you the knowledge base and member quality only gets better everyday with younger minds and experienced shooters who are WILLING to explain the positives and negatives of a particular topic. You have been at this "school" since 2007..maybe you just arent taking the right classes? But if you think you have gained all the knowledge you can obtain, maybe youre right. Maybe you should stick to the classifieds. When I am done learning that is where i will go.

Hope you sell all that brass! Let me know when the price is available. If its cheaper than 2.15 a piece I may grab a few.

I think it is fair that they get us prices for each time we hit a breaking point. I would be interested but don't want to commit to something that we are not sure of the pricing.

For other folks...this is a brass interest thread.

If you have an axe to grind, a point to prove, or a compelling need to define your self worthiness via posting on a public Internet forum, please start your own thread and do those things elsewhere than here.

Thank you.

Hello LRH readers.

Please disregard the banter from the misinformed and inexperienced.

You'll either learn early on, or later...but one way or the other...you'll learn that there's no substitute for trigger time and experience when it comes to LR precision.

There's a lot of B.S. to wade through on the internet forums...especially when it comes to LR shooting. Egos, personal limited resources in terms of money/time to pursue our interests, and blind loyalties are pervasive. There are also a lot of keyboard heros, that when you meet or go to shoot with...have all kind of excuses why there are more misses than hits :)

We all fear that which we don't understand. LR precision is no different. You'd think from reading these forums that 1 MOA cold bore shots are common place at 1K+.....but the reality that I've seen...is that it's the exception.

This a very capable chambering, and one of the few that should be considered when building a high performance 338. Let's keep the interest going on this great cartridge. Please read the first post, and if you have any questions, email/PM/post your questions for answers.

Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.