338 edge!!!

101sniper

gun)Looking to build a 338 edge. Want to use the 700 action anyone know were to find one or should I just buy a sps and tear it apart? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
gun)Looking to build a 338 edge. Want to use the 700 action anyone know were to find one or should I just buy a sps and tear it apart? Thanks for the help.

If your going to go to all the trouble of buying a gun and tearing it all apart and having it blue printed, you'd be money ahead to just start with a custom action to begin with.

If you really wanted a cheap Edge. Get a Savage in any magnum caliber, swap the barrel in and shoot.

If you can find an older sendero in a mag cartrige, for a good price, then you will have a decent stock as well, then you just need a good tube installed, action truing and a wyatts box.

The only problem with the savages is mag box length, unless you single feed.

If you can find an older sendero in a mag cartrige, for a good price, then you will have a decent stock as well, then you just need a good tube installed, action truing and a wyatts box.

The only problem with the savages is mag box length, unless you single feed.

With some work, a Savage can be done in a repeater. Single feed make is easy. I've done them both ways.

All it will cost is $300 for a Stevens magnum rifle and a $350 prefit barrel. $150 for a long action BVSS or Stockade stock. Then you're done. You could probably recoup $100 from the unused stock and barrel.

I am going to sent it to hart and have it done up. I think with a 700 action and a hart barrel it should shoot great. Thanks for the info and the thoughts.

Re: 338 edge!!! on a LARGE budget

It's amazing how people avoid the ridicule from fellow shooters even though the numbers make sense.

If your going to go to all the trouble of buying a gun and tearing it all apart and having it blue printed, you'd be money ahead to just start with a custom action to begin with.

If you really wanted a cheap Edge. Get a Savage in any magnum caliber, swap the barrel in and shoot.

I agree. Typically if you don't already have a donor action, it ends up costing the same if you plan to have the action trued to just go with a custom. If you are not going to have th action trued, you may save some money.

The Savage swap barrel does sound interesting but I have no experience with it.

Good luck. I am having an Edge built on a 700 action now. Unfortunately, I already had a donor action:D.

I understand now Hart advertises that they square the action there before they install the barrel. I just getting into my first building of a custom rifle. I have a 300 win mag custom but I bought it second hand. Any other usful info would be great ie other barrel makers or custom action makers worth looking at. I am on a 2k buget just for the rifle. Thanks

A little info but not on your question. Hart rifle barrels charge you the same whether you have a custom action or a 700 blue printed. I don't see how they can do that but I called them about making a switch barrel for one of my custom rifles that they did so it would be just a new chamber and barrel screwed on and they told me that it was the same price as rebarreling and I asked why and they said the blue printing really don't take that long. I'm not a smith but I get the proccess but I still don't see how it can be the same money.

Thats the info that i have been looking for that hart does true or blue print the action at there shop when you have a job done. thanks

From the Hart site it says square the action and lap the lugs, I would call and inquire if it includes a recut of reciever threads, lug abutments and bolt truing. Sounds to me that it is a skim cut to square the reciever face and lap the lugs, a basic $55 service. Not a full "blueprint"

Yes it will include a full blue print everything coyboy mentioned. My point really is that if you have a custom $1000.00 action or a 700 that needs to be blueprinted it's still going to cost you $650.00 for a rebarrel job no matter what.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.