338 Edge

300win

Doing some research on building a 338. I am looking at shooting the heavy bullets. What barrel length/twist are you guys using? What kind of velocity and what powders are you using? Has anyone tried shooting the lighter bullets such as 225 accubonds or 200 grain ballistic tips?

most are using a 30" or slightly less, 10 twist barrel. 91-94 gr of h1000 powder with the 300 gr SMK bullet getting around 2750-2850. 3000 is doable with retumbo but Shawn (Mr Edge) Carlock told me 1000 worked the best with the smallest ES and i haven't really tried anything else. i got very good results with 92 gr and went hunting. i can shoot the 250's a little over 3200 before the bolt gets sticky, again with 1000. retumbo will give higher speeds.

Has anyone tried shooting the lighter bullets such as 225 accubonds or 200 grain ballistic tips?

I would doubt that many here would go below bullets of around 250gn since the main reason people will build a big 338 is generally to reach out with high BC bullets. If you want a lighter bullet at higher velocity, go for a 30 or 7mm on the RUM case and still get the benefit of high BC bullets.

Doing some research on building a 338. I am looking at shooting the heavy bullets. What barrel length/twist are you guys using? What kind of velocity and what powders are you using? Has anyone tried shooting the lighter bullets such as 225 accubonds or 200 grain ballistic tips?

goodgrouper's 338 Thunder took an Elk with the 225 AccuBond at I believe 1403 Yards..........
thumb.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.